Hurling All Stars

Conlon 1-100 cos he hurled one half against Cork. This could Be the bust of the year.

Byrnes, Duggan and Harnedy all dicey there.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea how Mike Casey isn’t classed as a certainty for full-back, except that he’s not a “name” player.

Seamus Hickey was full-back for Limerick’s first game against Tipperary and was in all sorts of trouble. Casey’s arrival onto the pitch to replace him led to Limerick completely shutting down Tipperary and going from a level game to winning comfortably.

He’s been superb ever since. There are plenty of positions in which Limerick could have picked somebody else and still won the All-Ireland. Full-back wasn’t one of them.

Casey being All-Star full-back is a no brain decision.

3 Likes

Tbf daithi Burke was brilliant. He absolutely cleaned out everyone. Gillane done ok on him. He destroyed conlon. Casey struggled massively versus clare in Ennis on conlon and was probably a little bit shakey at times v cork and kk. He came of age in the final but I think Burke deserves it. Best three in country for me over the course of the season.

3 Likes

Dan morrisey? I couldn’t care less if he deserves it or not. Except that I have him and Conor mcmanus on a double…

Daithi Burke had a great year bar the final, and as you say he is a ‘name player’. Mike Casey was brilliant though as well and it’s fair to say he was more important and instrumental to us than Richie English, who is considered a certainty for left corner back. I wonder could the panel do a switcheroo there and shoe-horn Mike Casey into left corner back instead of English? It would be desperately unfair on English having been the best player in the country in his position all year but fellas have been shoe-horned into lines in the past despite having played a different slot all year on that line.

Murphy - KK
Finn - Limerick
Casey - Limerick
English - Limerick
Byrnes - Limerick
Hannon - Limerick
Mannion - Galway
Lynch - Limerick
Fitzgibbon - Cork
Duggan - Clare
Guy - Galway
Flanagan - Limerick
Horgan - Cork
Conlon - Clare
Mulcahy - Limerick

1 Like

I would say the underneath would be my All-Star selection if I could shoe-horn fellas I think are deserving into applicable lines. But of course it won’t pan out like this.

Murphy - KK
Finn - Limerick
Burke - Galway
Casey - Limerick
Mannion - Galway
Hannon - Limerick
Dan Morrissey - Limerick
Lynch - Limerick
Fitzgibbon - Cork
Hayes - Limerick
Red Bull Joe - Galway
Tom Morrissey - Limerick
Flanagan - Limerick
Conlon - Clare
Mulcahy - Limerick

Gas cunts

The roasting he got by Conlon in Ennis probably counts against him.

He has had a very solid year aside in an understated way. Burke has the reputation which looks to give him the edge

Burke is the media darlin’ however.

By having no contact with the media whatsoever? You could argue mannion is the real media darling. Burke is the best back in the country. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a clueless.

1 Like

Not one pundit offers an opposite opinion. Rubber stamp like.

1 Like

Sean Finn is fast approaching right behind him.

2 Likes

Limerick conceded no goals that day and were beaten all over the pitch in what was essentially a dead rubber.

Burke took a roasting in the semi-final replay.

1 Like

Burke wasn’t roasted in the semi final replay. He had the better of Conlon throughout.

Casey was yards off Conlon in Ennis and
his inability to deal with him completely unnerved Limerick which led to them withdrawing him at half time and deploying a sweeper despite having a strong enough breeze with them for the second half which led to Limericks collapse

1 Like

Sean Finn going off early in Ennis hurt Limerick far more than Conlon that day.

Third week on the trot, the space afforded by 14 v 14 suiting Clare’s skillful, pacy midgets also mitigating factors.

That and we threw the game

1 Like

Burke is the full-back. Clare got three gilt-edged goal opportunities in the second half, taking two, and hitting the post with other, because players ran straight through the area Burke was supposed to be guarding.

That mightn’t be all his fault, but it is his responsibilty.

The GAA Hour starring Woolly Parkinson sponsored by Paddy Power All Stars were on last Thursday’s podcast:

Murphy
Spillane
Burke
English
Crummy
Hannon
Mannion
Lynch
Fitzgibbon
Duggan
Corporate Guy
Reid
Mulcahy
Conlon
Horgan

Picked by a couple of lads from the weaker counties.

HOTY: Corporate Guy
YHOTY: Charleville Guy