Ibrahim Halawa

And just because he was found not guilty doesn’t mean he doesn’t support or hold said beliefs… There’s a lot pointing towards the family at the very least supporting what the MB are about… Whether they acted on this support is unknown.

Ibrahim Halawa said he was involved in pro-MB protests from 28 June 2013.
Morsi was deposed on 3 July 2013.

1 Like

It’s quite a delicious irony that the two posters calling for “critical thinking” have, in trademark fashion, displayed an absolute lack of critical thinking here and are instead quite happy to advocate for the justice of the mob, while advocating for the denial of justice to an Irish citizen based on a social media smear campaign.

That’s one of the things that is so hilarious abut the reactionary right. They tend to be display a complete lack of the things they claim to call for. They ask for “critical thinking”, yet display none. They ask for “common sense”, yet display none. They ask for “self-awareness”, yet display none.

Are you calling for pro-Trump demonstrators to be locked up, mate?

Where has that been advocated for at all? As usual when you’re stumped you come out with “I know you are but what am I”. Unreal stuff.

This quite clearly advocates doing away with the rule of law in favour of mob justice, mate. Unreal stuff, isn’t it?

Are you having a laugh? Rule of law? We are talking about Egypt right? Where mob rule and totalitarian rule has been the norm whether under Mubarak, Morsi or el-Sisi. There are thousands imprisioned in Egypt for exactly the same behavior as Halawa who don’t have a foreign government advocating for them. Are they innocent or guilty? Under Egyptian law they are guilty as the Muslim Britherhood are illegal and advocating for them is a crime.

Personally I don’t believe anyone should be locked up simply for their beliefs. That doesn’t mean a civilized society cannot condemn beliefs and limit the teaching of dangerous beliefs. In that context I believe the KKK have the right to their beliefs but should have limited rights to advocate for them. I would be more supportive of the European model where advocating for Nazi beliefs such as denying the holocaust is illegal.

Islamist ideology is an extremely dangerous ideology that seeks to overthrow all the freedoms that western civilization has gained since the enlightenment. Whatever about an individual believing in this nonsense, in my opinion advocating for this nonsense and teaching it to others should be illegal. Just as advocating for and teaching the ideology of the Nazis should be illegal.

It seems you’re the one that’s having a laugh as earlier on the thread you were advocating for the “laws” of the Egyptian regime to be upheld.

Earlier on you argued this:

That’s a direct contradiction.

Where was mob rule advocated by me?

I simply pointed out your childish bleating and inability to look beyond whatever flavour of the month is in the Irish Times to get behind.

Once again, you just make stuff up.

No it isn’t. It’s unsurprising you are a failed journalist as you have such a very poor grasp of English.

Do you not understand the difference between holding a belief and advocating for a belief? In the case of the KKK for example, individuals should be free to hold these crazed beliefs, but should not be free to advocate for them and try and influence others. There is no way to control what individuals believe but we can control the teaching of beliefs.

Should someone in Ireland be allowed set up a school to teach the beliefs of the Nazis?

Oh, I certainly do. It seems you don’t. And I know that advocating for a belief within laws is not a crime.

It also seems that you, along with numerous other posters here, have decided to form your own private thought police, whee you act as judge and jury.

A couple of months ago you were performing all sorts of mental gymnastics to defend actual white supremacists who were demonstrating in Charlotteslville.

Your debating skills really have reached rock bottom if you’re resorting to this.

If you don’t mind I’ll ignore the moral guidance from someone who has been jumping though hoops to defend a child molester and people who advocate for genital mutilation and forcing nine year old girls into marriage. For someone who throws around the pedophile charge at other posters you seem very keen to defend actual child sex offenders.

As for Charlottesville, imo the KKK and other hate groups should not be allowed hold public demonstrations.

Seriously? Is this the best you can do?

You’re now arguing directly against what you argued previously.

Everything I’ve said is factual. I don’t agree with the law on free speech and freedom of expression in the US. Hate groups like the KKK should not be allowed hold public assemblies or advocate their beliefs publicaly.

Note I said hate groups, as in actual hate groups. In your warped mind all conservative views represent hate speech.

You’ve spent the last two years on here basically pulling yourself off talking about the US constitution and the “founding fathers”.

Now you’re disagreeing with the first amendment. :smile:

That’s a hell of a backtrack. You didn’t voice any of this stuff in August when it was actually happening. Instead you were trying to draw false equivalence between far right white supremacists and Nazis and people on the left.

People who go around with flaming torches shouting Nazi slogans are part of a hate group.

That’s another little fantasy you have.

What is undeniable though is that conservative politics in the US has a serious problem with hate speech.

Can we not all agree that halawa looks like a complete cunt, and leave it at that?

Hilarious

2 Likes

:smile:

Is that Waterford whispers? They can be very witty.

Jesus Christ :smile: