Injuries

I regret nothing.

In fairness, at 40 and not aiming to return to play at a very high level, you just need to be careful with it and do the swimming/cycling/movement exercises etc. and it will heal itself in its own time over 6-9 months.

I wouldn’t say there’s any need to be pumping weights in a gym 5 times a week at all. Its just about having a solid knee under you that won’t buckle every time you do some basic twisting and turning in your everyday life.

1 Like

No one said anything about pumping weights 5 times a week pal, it’s just a bit of rehab.

Fair enough.

I’m just saying that the word rehab has connotations of being a miserable, full time existence of pain and hardship when it doesn’t need to be.

You can swim & cycle to your hearts content within 4-6 weeks of the operation. Just don’t be walking too much on it. I remember doing a lot of walking at an All Ireland Hurling Final 4 months on from my operation and it blew up like a balloon after it. Also sitting in the old Pairc Ui Chaoimh with no room for your legs to stretch was a big ‘no, no’.

3 Likes

I’ve a buddy who’s 10 years without an acl and he hasnt a noticeable limp but hes come up with issues in his back and hips because he is 100% compensating to protect it. Every so often he’d be walking along and the leg would give out from under him and he’d have to check his stride.

I’d get it done

3 Likes

If you’ve ruptured your ACL and forego surgery with the aim of merely building up muscles around the leg and regaining strength, your bad leg will never be as strong as your good leg. Its not possible. Likelihood is that there are several other injuries too in the joint. Could have grade 1, 2 or 3 medial and lateral ligament injuries, fractures or bone contusions, cartiliage/meniscus tears, PCL. The latter is one that will definitely come back to haunt you.
Get the Patellar graft as opposed to hanstring graft. Also start doing some weight bearing squat exercises, knee extensions and hanstring curls. 2 half hour sessions twice a week will do for now.

1 Like

That’s brilliant, fair play.

1 Like

I had a good physio after getting the knee done in Santry. Rehab wasn’t miserable at all. Most of the exercises you could do watching the telly in the evening. Prehab would be important too. Building up the muscles around the knee before you go for surgery makes the rehab much easier.

Find a good sports physio and take their advice. Take the advice of the knee surgeon also, and make a decision. There are pros cons and risks to either course of action.
Make sure the surgeon is a knee surgeon and not a jobbing orthopaedic surgeon who does a bit of everything.
Best of luck.
PM me if you want some decent advice from a sports medicine lad.

2 Likes

DeJuan Blair played seven years of NBA without ACLs in both knees.

I’ve to have fairly major hand surgery in December, in part because of hurling. Squeaky bum time.

Complete Nonsense . His muscles on the same leg as knee will wither away if he doesn’t do rehab which then puts more pressure on the knee which will buckle again . Building back up the muscles especially quad and hamstring is crucial .

Tour de cathedrals will be a must for recovery. Get those steps in

1 Like

Speaking of knee injuries/replacements. Anyone recommend any type of treatments that might stave off having a knee replacement for a few years.

Ray Moran operated on the cartilage years ago but when i went to him again with pain a few years back he said there was no point operating further, there’s basically no cartilage left. A knee replacement is the only solution

The pain is manageable at the minute but i want to try extend the time as much as possible before having it replaced.

The muscles will waste away initially but they’ll build themselves back up over time. Swimming/Cycling and a few handy body weight exercises will be fine. The important thing will be that theres a functioning replacement ligament in the knee.

@Fat_Pox isn’t exactly Siri Kolisi here trying to make it back for a Rugby Football World Cup in 6 months.

Get the operation and mind it is the main thing. Changing car tyres/dancing on tables and hiking up mountains are the big “no no’s”.

2 Likes

A pal got the PRP injections in his knee - done in Santry. Probably need another one in 18 months or so.

1 Like

A colleague just fell out of his loft putting down insulation and has fractured his neck :flushed::flushed::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:
Be careful doing stuff you’re not made for.

It’s important apparently to get a scan an odd time to make sure that the bone isn’t going bad.
Cycling cycling cycling otherwise.

1 Like

Informative rating @flattythehurdler. Genuinely didn’t know that. Thanks @TheUlteriorMotive. Had prps a few years ago, must look into getting another one.

Using glucosamine and voltarol gel daily too.

Have a spinbike in the shed so all my exercise is now confined to that.

1 Like

Try taking osteo bi flex. Can get on iherb

1 Like