Injuries

Iā€™d say I was in and out in 2 hours

Mighty stuff. Clonaslee must not have been playing.

Letā€™s just state the obvious. We Irish are a bunch of muldoon rednecks, whether we are from D4 or Achill Island. The Celtic Tiger years didnā€™t do much for us! Dirty holes. Guinness farts. Unmade beds.

Anyone here ever have a very bad sprained ankle? I did mine 5 weeks ago and knew from the bruising that it was a bad one but 5 weeks later Iā€™m still limping a bit and canā€™t walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes before it gets fairly sore and my calf gets very sore. Iā€™d say itā€™s possibly a grade 3 sprain which the Internet tells me is a 6 to 12 week recovery time which is a big range. Is there any point in me getting it scanned this long after the sprain happened?

A grade 3 sprain means torn ligaments. Get it scanned. Take the medical advice they offer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re a big lump of a fella? So you have been waddling around on a badly swollen ankle for over a month rather than using crutches? Be another month of crutches ahead of you now

1 Like

How long should I expect to be waiting for a scan? Going on holibobs in 10 days.

Donā€™t waste your time for a sprainā€¦ unless you suspect you did more.

The key to a sprain is gentle movement all the time. So when youā€™re sitting be doing gentle circle movements. At home when watching tv, draw the letters of the alphabet with your big toe, do small letters then big. You donā€™t want ligaments getting stiff.

Look up proprioception.

When at home do short walks from one room to the other on your tippy toes.
Balance on one footā€¦ Introduce movement like when brushing your teeth or throw a ball off a wall and catch it.

Hop a yard on one foot and land dead on it, no falling to the sideā€¦

You basically need to retrain the signal to your brain that youā€™re on solid groundā€¦

But buil up to the second part. Get the gentle moving going and the walking on tippy toes, this really strengthens ankle and calf Regionā€¦ Youā€™ve probably been resting it like a steamer

1 Like

Do you have health insurance. Could you present at VHI clinic

Yeah I have decent Vhi cover. Could I just rock up with no appointment?

Call them. Say youā€™ll be in in the morning.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following the RICE recommendation so have been resting and iceing alright. Iā€™ll try those little gay exercises you posted and see if thereā€™s any improvement and if not Iā€™ll ring Vhi next week.

1 Like

Go to a decent physio first, and you may need a scan after. About two years ago I badly sprained my ankle, it didnā€™t come right and I eventually had to get surgery on it. You can fuck up ligaments pretty badly in a sprain it turns out.

1 Like

Send kev a tweet

3 Likes

Yes. Tfkā€™s record holding dormant poster broke his ankle mid july in an alanis morissette style ironic manner. Heā€™s still hobbling round on it in pain 7 weeks later refusing to go back to the fracture clinicā€¦

Iā€™ve no faith in Physios having had nothing but bad experiences with them. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some good ones out there but Iā€™ve found them to be a waste of time and money.

Ah itā€™s definitely not broken (I think) but itā€™s the pain in my calf is giving me a bit of concern. Iā€™ll go for a scan next week if no improvement.

Youā€™d rather canvass for a cure on TFK :grinning:

RICE is the worst thing you can do. Dont mind the gimps hereā€¦ You need to get movement into ligaments asap after damage, depending on the severity of course.
Blood flow is what healsā€¦ Movement and heat allow blood flow. RICE slows it down and stiffens everything up.

Bate on the deep heat kid and spell STEAMER over and over with your big toe.

2 Likes

Would a Physio have given me exercises to do ot pointed me towards getting a scan done in the VHI clinic or to tweet Kev? All for free?

I donā€™t fucking think so.