Injuries

Itā€™s well known. Major cause of long term injuries in work places. Most of the bigger companies are spending big on chairs to combat it and / or occupational health people to come in and assess you and desk etc. When I was with Amazon we had a guy come in every few weeks and show different stretches and the likesā€¦ Great future in physical/ physio therapy.

Dunnes had them for a fiver a few weeks back, I picked up a box.

1 Like

I have one in my office i can stand or sit at.

Youā€™ve reminded me to use it to stand again :pensive:

If you get up every hour and go for a short walk and squeeze of glutes itā€™s all good.

1 Like

Could be the new smoke break everyone standing outside the front door once an hour squeezing the cheeks of their arse together.

4 Likes

Tell me about it, drives me cracked at senior training waiting for lads to finish their ā€œband workā€.

2 Likes

Gave the lower back a tweak there this morning dead-lifting. Iā€™ve suddenly become an old man

He shared some horrific images of his injuries on twitter tonight. Lucky man

They might think about taking down this pinned tweet :thinking:
Interesting gadget in theory. Any of our KK patrons know of this ND Sports Performance crowd?

4 Likes

I have a bridge for sale.

ND = Noel Doherty from Galmoy. Hurled intermediate for kilkenny for years. Was possibly on the senior panel for a few years as well. Smashing hurler just lacking size.

1 Like

A physio or in the general fitness industry?

Donā€™t think heā€™s a physio. Suffered badly with hamstrings himself.

Is there much a physio can do for a sprained ankle? I sprained it badly enough about 6 or 7 weeks ago and it seemed to be recovering normally enough before getting worse again the last few weeks. Itā€™s fucked now.

Did you redo it again that itā€™s fucked ?

No. Iā€™ve done the same one before a few times but not for a few years. It seemed to be recovering as youā€™d expect but then started going backwards.

Anyway, thereā€™s little a physio can do if itā€™s a sprain.

Proprioception is the term here.

After stretching ligaments you need to re-establish that link between ligaments and brain that says you need stability again.

Iā€™ve had a life time of sprained ankles and despite what most people say, RICE is not the answer. Getting movement back in the area has always led to quicker recovery for me after years of following the RICE model.

Basic things you need to doā€¦ Start balancing on one foot, knee very slightly bent. Retraining the ligaments that they are on solid ground. Go till you start seriously wobbling and stop for a minute and go again. You can add things to this when you get stronger like throwing a ball off a wall, stretching left/right/ to the floor etc. Doing it at night brushing your teeth is a good one.

Next , balancing on one foot hop forward about a yard and land dead on the spot, no falling over/ losing balanceā€¦ Do a few goes at this after youā€™ve gotten a bit stronger.

Calf extensionsā€¦ On a step or off fire place. Anything that extends the foot up is great for strengthening ankleā€¦ When youā€™re walking around the house do so on your tippy toes a few times a day.

Also, and Iā€™d probably start here, when sitting down, draw out the alphabet with your big toe, capital letter and small letter for eachā€¦ Getting that movement back into the stiff ligaments. Itā€™s a great one to loosen and build initial strength up just after a sprain. But all of the above will have you rightā€¦ If itā€™s a sprain :grinning:

1 Like

Bands are great too if you have them

Be it hand/wrist/ankle sprain related I have always found that submerging it in hot water for 30 seconds and then under the cold tap for 30 seconds and repeat gives far more relief than RICE. Seems to breakdown the bruising/swelling and gets the blood flowing

RICE is a load of shiteā€¦ Get that bastard moving asap. Donā€™t let it get stiff.