Iraq / Middle East / Murder Thread

in the NY Times he was quoted

Ok Yoda, thanks for that.

She has a point

Off the top of my head I don’t think that’s right. Can’t remember 100% now but I seem to remember Chomsky saying that Kissinger’s humanitarian response to the Kymer Rouge was good but comparing it negatively with his response to other humanitarian disasters. (In other words just typical Chomsky) I used to read a lot of him when I was a teenager.

I wasn’t aware that this was an issue. I see now that there’s loads online about this, even full Wikipedia pages, but it’s hard to see what he was really trying to say. Probably just his typical “but what about the US!” line.

"Chomsky, he said, questioned “refugee testimony” believing that “their stories were exaggerations or fabrications, designed for a western media involved in a ‘vast and unprecedented propaganda campaign’ against the Khmer Rouge government, ‘including systematic distortion of the truth.’”

That’s not great now from Chomsky’s POV but it was all way back in the 70s, a very heated atmosphere, he wouldn’t still say that now.

Chomsky said that when Vietnam liberated Cambodia from the Khmer Rouge it was a rare example of humanitarian military intervention but he also says there were US lads killing even more people before the KR came along (not 100% sure who he means)