Iraq / Middle East / Murder Thread

I agree with you here. It seems because she spoke passionately at a press conference that her word is being taken as Gospel by John Oliver lite types.

Says your man - One of the most gullible posters on the forum - - - Just because you like to preach from the right doesn’t mean you are not a sheep in your own right.

1 Like

Follow the money.

She is self funded and crowd funded. She has no loyalty.

If you want to continue to believe Murdock dominated news then go ahead. Thats your choice.

I’m not saying for a minute Oytin and the Russians are angels. But American media has us “Westerners” fooled into thinking ecerythibg is black & white.

2 Likes

If you want to continue to believe I believe Murdock-dominated (sic) news then go ahead. That’s your choice.

are we now saying that Assad is the good guy here and in hindsight he was correct to dump a load of chlorine barrel bombs on a maternity hospital?

For contrarian foreign policy cranks like @Watch_The_Break that seems to be the new position all right. They’ve found a new hero, she seems so self assured.

Do the election turnout and results not back up her opinion of the general sentiment of the Syrian people. As Kev says she’s independent, she was there, speaking Arabic to locals. How can any of the western media version be verified?

I wouldn’t trust anything anybody says about Syrian elections. Voting only took place in government-held territories.

What Eva Bartlett says deserves to be treated with the same scepticism any other source would, and probably more given her propensity to appear on RT and the pro-Assad language she uses.

Western mainstream media were on the ground in Iraq. A lot of them were called “embedded” journalists. Did being on the ground mean they should be trusted 100%? Of course not. I don’t see why it’s any different for Eva Bartlett, Vanessa Beeley or anybody else in Syria who almost certainly were being shown what the Syrian government would have wanted them to see and would have been getting the responses on the ground that the Syrian government wanted them to get.

There have been fact checks done on Bartlett’s story about the rescue of the girl being recycled, including by Channel 4 News. The story appears to not hold up.

Nor does what she says about the hospital that was bombed.

And recognising that doesn’t make you a shill for the rebels, Islamists, the US, “Murdock (sic) media” or anybody else.

By their nature, such conflicts are difficult to decipher the real truth about. Everything should be approached with a healthy degree of scepticism. What isn’t up for debate is that civilians have suffered and are suffering terribly in areas held by all sides.

For what it’s worth I’ve found Channel 4 News and Newsnight to be reasonably fair and balanced on Syria.

2 Likes

False equivalency there with embedded journalists in Iraq who were stupidly biased, whether they intended to be or not. I don’t think you can argue Bartlett is a mouthpiece for the Assad regime, or for any reason pro it, everything should be looked at with scepticism but you’re not giving her any credit or respect as a journalist if you think she can’t decipher between wheeled out government supporters and common people. I’m sure she met both groups, no doubt the previous by design.

I don’t think it’s false equivalency.

She uses very similar language to what embedded journalists in Iraq used - “liberators”, “terrorists” etc.

Is it credible to say that the majority of the people in Aleppo are pro-Assad? Sure.

Is it credible to say that there isn’t a civil war and that the population of Syria is as overwhelmingly pro-Assad to the extent she claims it is? No, I don’t think so, in fact it’s obvious nonsense, notwithstanding all the outside actors in the Syrian conflict.

And as I’ve said, two of her claims in the video have been debunked.

Just because somebody says they’re independent doesn’t mean they’re independent, they may be highly biased (and I’m not singling out Bartlett here).

Similarly, just because somebody is attached to a “mainstream media” organisation, certain people who already have their minds up will automatically discount them as a source, which is nuts, notwithstanding that certain media organisations will have biases, occasionally obvious but usually far less obvious, about many matters they cover.

It’s very credible to say that while the majority may not be crazy about Assad he’s a much better alternative to the so called “rebels.” Did you ever consider that the citizens of a once fairly developed peaceful and secular country don’t want to be over run by religious nutjobs. And have chosen to be on are on the side of the democratically elected government of their country.

1 Like

I’d need to see her in her underwear before I could make a decision.

3 Likes

Those people in the ground in iraq were being paid by the BBC, Murdock et al. What part of that do you not understand?

This Ladies independance as a journalist is pretty hard to deny.

Nobody is being Pro-Assad here. The point of it is that she is telling us what the people on the ground think. When you look at what Aleppo was in terms of a city, its not too hard to believe that people were pretty happy with the way it was but that a few local tribes (who seem to be as much in conflict with each other as anyone else) jumped on a regional movement bandwagon and got some traction, and were well armed by the Yanks.

You still refuse to see the money line

1 Like

Did you ever consider that I might not have the “view” you ascribe to me?

What’s journalistic independence?

The INTERNET is littered with people who claim they are “independent journalists” and are anything but.

Repeating your pre-conceived narrative that any “mainstream media” coverage is worthless advances your argument in precisely no way.

Eva Bartlett is being pro-Assad, strongly so.

You realise “the people on the ground” don’t speak with one voice, yes?

I don’t need somebody who by their own admission uses this forum as a proxy advertising service to tell me about following a “money line”, thanks.

Alot of rubbish. Wsste of time debating

No, Kev. What you put up was a lot of rubbish.

Your debating style can be summarised as follows:
Post up a load of fact-free, generalised, conspiracy theory-influenced rubbish, than refuse to engage when it’s picked apart.

This is instance #573937.

2 Likes

Well you seem to be rubbishing the claims of the journalist and saying they have been debunked. I read the channel 4 rebuttal but it was very weak. They “fact checked” one or two of her claims and ignored the rest. Even at that they werent sure they were fact checking what she was talking about.

1 Like

What was weak about it?

Bartlett hasn’t responded to Channel 4 News or other outlets that have debunked the story.

The onus is on her to back the story up as she made the assertion.

Why on earth would anybody need to fake or recycle footage of the same girl?

The only reason anybody could have for doing so, or for believing that it was taking place, is if children weren’t being killed or injured in significant numbers in Aleppo.

Have you seen footage of what the city looks like? Is this “faked” too? Do you think it’s credible that children weren’t being killed or injured in significant numbers in Aleppo?

That isn’t to remain blind to the possibility for propaganda from all sides, clearly there is potential for propaganda, but why would you have to fake this kind?

How is it credible to say that what has been taking place since 2011 is not a civil war?

How can one say with any confidence that a journalist is “independent”, when they write a blog for RT (a television station owned by the Russian government, who are directly involved in the conflict), and use the language of "liberation and “terrorists” that Fox News used in Iraq in 2003? Merely because they say so themselves? This stretches credulity to the absolute limit.

Asking these questions in no way implies support for the Syrian opposition or for anybody.

They’re basic questions about journalistic integrity and I honestly don’t see how they can be squared without doing some serious mental gymnastics.

1 Like