Ireland politics (Part 2)

Problem is, its ultimately the house buyer that will endvio forking it out

1 Like

I think the insults were aimed foursquare at me, rather than my family tbh. Itā€™s an emotive subject, and itā€™s easy on an anonymous internet forum to forget that people are directly affected. I never argued people involved shouldnā€™t be helped to rectify things fwiw, just called into question the opinion that this automatically falls upon the taxpayer. It seems to me that the buildings insurers need to have their feet held to the fire here, and that the primary fault lies with the manufacturer, who should be rinsed.

11 Likes

It may well do but not necessarily in a linear way - would depend in time on how competitive a market there is.

No need for that

4 Likes

Only got around to actually reading a report on this today. The figure put forward is actually 1.4bn, but for some reason this is getting an additional 1.8bn added onto it for no reason that I can see. They also say it might affect 6,600 homes, but thatā€™s also not definite.

Taking that into account, letā€™s take both of their high figures, that equates to an average of ā‚¬485k per unit.

Thatā€™s bollix. There are plenty of homes these days costing that to build, but it would not at all be the average. Particularly outside the m50 belt. Iā€™d be more inclined to have an average cost 100k lower with is 0.6bn of a reduction, allowing for 6,600 units which also seems really high and inflated. Also, from viewing reports, it doesnā€™t seem like every single house needs complete demolition and rebuild. So why is the government and their media shills, inflating these costs way over what is realistic?

5 Likes

FG, Labour and the Greens were all in power and had the chance to make a difference

The opposition also had their chance. It a cultural state failure as much as anything

Theyā€™ve caught a right few fish on here too.

The representative group said the 350k cap would not address needs of 40 per cent of those affected.

Truth is nobody knows how much it will cost and how many homes are affected.

Thereā€™s also question of where you find the Labour and resources to do the work on 6000 homes and build social housing etc.

It also seems cost to rebuild is more than value of houses.

Itā€™s a mess and anybody would feel sympathy for those affected but paying for this will mean money not available for other services/projects. That will need to be balanced up.

But sure thatā€™s not the homeowner fault

It not being their fault is not really the issue.

Lots of people have claims for state funds and often very legitimate claims but thereā€™s only so much to go around.

With forecasts of double digit growth, how much would be raised by increasing the top rate of paye by 1 or 2 percent. Id have no objection to it being used to fund redress for those affected.

3 Likes

What Iā€™ve picked up from this is buy non-Mica property in Donegal. In 20 years time it will be gold dust.

1 Like

The problem is nobody really knows what 100 per cent redress would cost. If it was 1bn or 2bn and thatā€™s a final number that might be ok but what if the issue is much wider.

Weā€™re going to need to raise taxes/money to pay for pensions, health service, social housing, costs of Covid, environmental issues.

You canā€™t just keep raising taxes either if you want to grow the economy.

Will the double digit growth result in many more people earning higher income ??

Raising top rate by one or two percent wont kill growth with forecast as they are.

1 Like

Iā€™m no expert but I find it odd that the higher rate of tax begins at 35k or whatever in Ireland for a single person which is low and then there is no further tax rate on really high incomes

4 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Income tax system is most progressive in EU.

In 2016, the OECD ranked Irish personal taxation as the 2nd most progressive tax system in the OECD, with the top 10% of earners paying 60% of taxes.

https://www.esri.ie/news/irish-tax-system-does-most-in-europe-to-reduce-inequality

Flesh that out? Our Paye receipts were very resilient during covid induced recession. This was because those sectors decimated were minimum wage dominated sectors. ICT, Pharma etc were immune from recession. See thread on changing career.

1 Like

Fair enough. I still think the cut off point should be higher though and this could be offset by a 50% rate on income over ā‚¬100k or whatever

1 Like