Ireland politics (Part 2)

Well she is a victim of a sustained campaign of racist abuse and intimidation, which I can’t imagine is a very nice thing to experience.

Would be a good opportunity for LB to notch up another failed election bid though.

Will she run for the Greens or as an independent though…

Surely the greens wouldnt let her run in Eamons constituency. I’d say she’ll run as an independent green/new green. Far too much old money in the constituency for Kate not to be elected though.

It depends what you mean by significant. There may not be any significant Dail presence opposing vaccinations but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a significant campaign of disinformation about vaccines in the public sphere at large. And it goes well beyond vaccines to associated disinformation on matters of public health, as well as associated disinformation on other non-public health matters. O’Connell is generally seen as the most liberal Fine Gaeler anywhere and has quite a degree of goodwill across the spectrum as a result of her stance on disinformation on matters of public health. People like her as a sort of a genuine straight talker. I imagine that will prove a winning formula.

Would the SF/left vote be around Pearse Street and Ringsend ??

I imagine Gemtrails will probably run in this which will also be a help to Ms. O’Connell.

There would be, but it’s primarily working class rather than woke class. And turnout wouldnt be huge there for a general election, much less a by-election.

Inside the Widow Scallans

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about the prevailing political winds in that constituency but I know it would in the main be fairly opulent .

I would envisage a relatively low turnout even when the vote goes ahead .

All I will say is that conspiracy theories on vaccines will not be a factor . That said the speed of roll out of vaccines might well be.

Not a hope of FF/FG getting that seat in the by-election.

It’s a safe seat for FG. They will win this by-election.

2 Likes

Michael McDowell’s time has arrived. This is my constituency. He has my vote.

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:

McDowell’s time has been and gone. He was a failure of a minister and a failure of a party leader.

3 Likes

The dreaded vote of confidence. I can see @briantinnion shaping and funding a campaign for Michael before cutting the legs off him a few weeks out abefore sweeping in from the shadows himself to take the seat.

FG will pick up that seat

It’s like a by election in Cork South Central. They’d elect 2 government tds if they could.

1 Like

Stranger things have happened. Greens and ff not running should see fg over the line

I presume Kevin Humphreys will go again for Labour @Juhniallio? I could see him doing respectably, maybe closest runner-up. He has a profile within the constituency and picked up a decent whack of transfers at the general election despite never really being properly in the hunt to take a seat.

He did a lot for Ranelagh as well

1 Like