Ireland politics (Part 2)

They think we are all Michael Healy Raes

This line is where Eoin gives the game away. The gobshite.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1836650904197484829?s=46&t=hy6wc4bLZMiyfotc20UniQ

Lots of talk about the government bouncing back (even though they are still not doing that great) but nobody talking about the reality of a highly fragmented opposition.

The SDs and Labour will struggle to stay sitting together.

There’s no one to vote for if you lean right other than Aontu or a bunch on independents. The government will be re-elected by default

As soon as FFG saw even a slightly credible rival to their duopoly emerge, they promptly put aside 100 years of pretending to be different and joined forces. We will be stuck with them for the foreseeable.

5 Likes

The PR electoral system’s greatest success or failure depending on your perspective has been the pull of all parties to the centre so we never really get a proper right or left wing government.

It’s probably generally served us well over last 28 years since late 90s but the groupthink and political compromises involved marched us over the cliff to the GFC.

It however means a hard lurch to left or right is unlikely and means we have consistency and stability of economic policies that business tends to like and find comfort in.

The seethe of SF supporters is amusing given they assumed FF and FG would ate each others lunch after the coalition and they had to just bide their time to be in power after this election. The two parties have retained distinct identities and will now be transfer friendly.

2 Likes

The people get what they want mate

1 Like

FG will surely do well to get that much of a share though with all the new candidates they will have to run

Emer Currie, Austin’s daughter, has been selected to run in Leo’s place in Dublin West

Reddit is a great read for a collective meltdown whenever a poll comes out where FG are doing well

4 Likes

Irelands a cracking country when you see what is happening around the world.

FF FG have done an absolutely brilliant job truth be told.

1 Like

It’s interesting to watch things play out but I wonder how much of FGs popularity is down to people knowing the current TDs? They have a huge number of new candidates looking to get elected and people don’t know them. I think FG will be a little lower, FF a little higher but either way the big two are coming back, just depends who the mudguard is next time out.

That’s it. Bad and all as the health, immigration or housing crises are, they dont affect enough people to make a difference

2 Likes

We’ll be the best country in the world to shelter in during the impending nuclear winter.

Is she? I hadn’t heard that.

You need to keep up with the blue shirts thread

I didn’t know we had one, it doesn’t seem very active.

1 Like

That’s interesting, seems like a bunch of rumours all in one post.

This article looks even more silly after everyone has had a bit of time to see the full composition of the Commission.