Ireland v France ☘

1 Like

I presume the Brazils, Spains and Argentinas of this world are unlikely to want to come to Dublin for a challenge match

1 Like

No petrodollars on offer

1 Like

When dela was in charge we played Brazil

2 Likes

It’s pretty obvious to anybody With a brain we have to be a set piece threat in all these games.

Our set pieces was beyond brutal last night.

4 Likes

Twice I’d say. When we were a good team… Was one of those games compensation for us being not let into the world cup as the 33rd team?

Playing short corners ffs

Even when we went to put the ball in it looked like Cullen hadn’t the strength to reach the box.
Eventually we got 2 decent balls into the box around the 90th minute and we got some level of success out of them.
We could have been building pressure on that French defence all night with a decent delivery.

Surely it can’t be hard to take a corner :man_shrugging:

The french were at sixes and septs when we got a few in the mixer at the end

He was super blues.

Think we robbed him from cork or perhaps Waterford.

1 Like

Anyone can beat the first man with a corner, doing it with the required pace on the ball is a different matter.

France are a big team in fairness and we did nearly score from a set piece. I’m not sure if Shane Duffy has basically given up on his career but if he could get a decent championship move he might be worth persevering with for his heading ability, like Maguire with England.

Who do you drop? Egan gets goals, Collins was a worldy save away from getting a headed goal and O’Shea is very good. Duffy needs a Nov alright but he’s a squad player at best.

Duffy looks finished sadly. A few teams have had a look at him at this stage and decided the same thing. The end came very fast for him after a great career

He did well to pull out a career given the injury he suffered so early on. That liver operation looked like it would finish his footballing days, actually he could have died.

I am not sure on O’Shea, he turned his back last night instead of taking a belt and made a couple of mistakes passing out from the back. I would like to see if Omabamidele can get a run of games at club and see where he is internationally (he was poor against Latvia) as he has a higher felling for me anyway.

I agree that Omabanidele is next man in for sure and all things being equal, should be starting. He just needs a run of games.

Bump

15 Likes

Need to ditch the 5-4-1 v the Greeks. The Greeks have the slow ex Celtic centre forward up front. Good player but no pace. We dont need 3 centre backs up against him. Smallbone ahead of Knight in midfield and a front 3 of Ogbene, Ferguson and possibly Johnston.

Johnston is useless.

Didn’t look useless in his 20 odd minute cameo v’s Latvia.