Ireland v Gibraltar

Why isn’t Matt Doherty playing?

He’s shit.

Because he is a right back or wing back and Coleman is ahead of him in the pecking order.

He looked very much a square peg in a round hole when played right midfield.

I like Hourihane and think his dead ball delivery is key but I thought he was too content to just sit back and spray passes when we needed him further up the field.

I didn’t think he was great against Denmark either so I hope it doesn’t become a case that we’re carrying him for his dead ball deliveries.

As I said last night, McClean isn’t really the man for the likes of Gibraltar but tbf, in the last 10, his directness caused them problems.

Also disappointed in Stevens. Brady at left-back mightn’t do against the better teams but could have done alright. Doherty has played a decent amount at left-back too.

Hogan & Maguire disappointed, and while McGoldrick was decent, you’d wonder how many goals he’ll score for Ireland. He tends to drop very deep and when he’s back as a lone striker, I don’t know if we get enough people beyond.

Although I did like Robinson out wide who is a natural attacking player.

McClean is unbelievably infuriating live. No point in playing him against a bad team. Would like to see McGoldrick and Long together at some stage as McGoldrick isn’t really a striker, was our best player by far though last night I thought

Agree. He almost plays as a false 9 for Ireland which is great when you have the likes of Salah and Mane on the flanks but not so great with players from the Championship or the benches of lower EPL teams.

That said I am genuinely delighted with the start to McCarthy’s campaign. We don’t have anything near the quality of past teams and 10 points from the first four games, including a draw away in Denmark should be the positive focus so badly needed.

1 Like

because Coleman needs to be accommodated in the team so we play and orthodox 442
its such an irish problem - our only half decent player and we cant design a system or even attempt to design a system for him to play
he was tried as discussed on the RHS as a winger in a 442 and he didnt fit - he an attacking RWB in a 532 or a 352 but no that not the irish way…

i know we have spoken on here before but surley last night was Maclean’s nadir in an irish shirt - he was as bad as we have ever seen him - he was always punching above his weight as a footballer but this old jaded routine of head down left leg out wasnt even working against these lads - he cannot play again - its horrible to watch the poor fucker now try to play, he’lltry to remian relevant for a year or two playing the silly im a catholic thing but the botom line is he cant get a game for stoke

Coleman - the man cant cross a ball - yeah look he’s ok and lads are prasing his attacking credentials but if we want an attacking RB… well he is sitting on the the bench

Robinson is an absolute shagodhelpus of a player - a harmless ould lad who does these giimicks outside the box - Macgoldrick is a donkey and scott hogan looks lost
Hendricks is ok with Hourihane and its not a game really to rate the defense
Robbie Brady’s regression is a serious issue
the movement of our front players were terrible - all so static - Sean “seani” maguire also … made no runs at all, he flourishes on a ball over the top but it was all so crowded in there that wasnt possible

i was homoured to see Joe Chippolina play - there was a grand write up on him in the programme and his role as a gaurd in the Gibraltar prison - i liked the bit where he returned to work a night shift <24 hours after scoring a winner in yerevan

as an aside - it was a lovely evening and a thoroughly enjoyable affair - the sun really lifted my spirits and i really enjoyed my walk to the ground from the q park on grand canal square where i picked up a grand mozzarella sandwich en route from cafe nero
@Bandage - we were seated near you

4 Likes

Does Robinson play as a main striker for Preston? He played more as a wide forward than a wide midfielder, if that makes sense. The Irish team also has to have a form EPL player on the bench for the masses to get worked up about. It was once McClean himself. It was also Hunt back in the day and several others in between.

1 Like

He played up front while Maguire was injured (and scored a decent amount of goals). Played as a ‘wing-forward’ when Maguire started.

He’s a bit different to our other wide options, I like him.

1 Like

Coleman was very good last night. I don’t think he always has been for Ireland but he was our best attacking threat all night. Doherty doesn’t deserve to start.

Brady should be playing ahead of one of McClean or Stevens.

Hogan was brutal last night - offside too often and a poor touch. Maguire looked just as inept unfortunately.

Surprised O’Dowda didn’t get on last night.

I see Matt Doherty is the new cause cÊlèbre of the masses.

He strikes me as prick of insufferable measure, his cut off MON summed the man up for me.

2 Likes

A coward, a wanker and a shit player.

Your man Hogan looks to be carrying a bit of timber .

1 Like

While 10 out of 12 points is a great start, it consists of 2 desperate wins over a pub team, a 1-0 home win against Georgia and a good result if not brilliant performance against Denmark. Hopefully the team improves as the campaign moves along because it will have to. We’re probably better set up to play away from home where teams will come at us rather than have to try to play on the front foot at home. So a win away to Georgia is not to be ruled out. I think the most we’ll get out of the two Switzerland games will be 1 point which will mean we’ll probably have to beat Denmark at home to finish ahead of them. Not a bad position to be in but more performances like last night and that could be the last win of the campaign.

Hogan looks absolutely dreadful btw.

I know player ratings are generally a load of shit but Gavin Commiskey has given Seamus Coleman a 7 calling him by far the best player on the pitch and given the rest of the starting 11 5s and 6s apart from James McClean who he also gave a 7 to.

The RTE fella gave everyone 7s & 8s.

How could you give the same rating to the best player on the pitch and McClean, who was dreadful yet again, though?

McClean assisted the second goal with a deep cross over the shortarse in goal.

1 Like

How many times did that shortarse kick the ball directly out of play? Surely this was some sort of betting scam?