Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

[quote=“Rocko”]

It is one position where we have plenty of cover anyway. If he was genuinely capable of playing in midfield it would be one thing but there’s no way you can afford to play him there in a 4-4-2 in international football.[/quote]

But at the same time Whelan is poor on the ball, gives possession away a LOT and rarely makes a constructive pass. Andrews isn’t much better. Andy Reid mightn’t work as hard or make as many tackles (so people say) but he can keep possession and can create a goal from nothing.

He is more creative but he’s never going to have the energy, the tackling or the discipline to play centrally in a 4-4-2. In a 4-5-1 you could get away with playing him there but even Stevie Ireland struggled in 4-4-2 for Ireland (despite his goalscoring) and he’s a far superior and more disciplined player.

[quote=“Rocko”]Trap made some positive noises about Reid yesterday. Nothing too convincing, just that he’s a good player and he’s in consideration but he’s not in his top 26 at the moment because he’s behind Aiden, Keogh, Lawrence and others.

It is one position where we have plenty of cover anyway. If he was genuinely capable of playing in midfield it would be one thing but there’s no way you can afford to play him there in a 4-4-2 in international football.[/quote]

Surely the old ‘in international football’ thing is a bit outdated now. The standard isn’t that great for the most part. Any of the teams we have played recently, Cyprus, Montenegro etc with the exception of Italy, would be beaten by most EPL teams, and even Italy would struggle against the likes of Man Utd who Reid played against recently.
He’s without any shadow of a doubt worth his place in the squad and definitely would offer something different if we needed a goal late in a game.
Anyone who says otherwise has a personal grudge against him eg Trap.

[quote=“gola”]Surely the old ‘in international football’ thing is a bit outdated now. The standard isn’t that great for the most part. Any of the teams we have played recently, Cyprus, Montenegro etc with the exception of Italy, would be beaten by most EPL teams, and even Italy would struggle against the likes of Man Utd who Reid played against recently.
He’s without any shadow of a doubt worth his place in the squad and definitely would offer something different if we needed a goal late in a game.
Anyone who says otherwise has a personal grudge against him eg Trap.[/quote]

It’s not really a grudge Trap has against him.

He dropped him for a number of reasons - some tactical, some attitude. There hasn’t really been a compelling reason to play him since then. I’d say he’s worth his place in the squad if he hadn’t had the row and if he’d shown up well in training but that’s not the case so he’s out of the picture for the moment.

I’m not suggesting international football is that higher a standard, but you have to be very well organised when you’re not used to playing with one another so most teams tend to be far more conservative. The competitions have few enough matches too, which also lends itself to eliminating mistakes and in that context Reid suffers a bit.

Most EPL teams would beat Ireland too I reckon. And that’s not a reflection on the standard of the EPL, it’s just a reflection of what we have.

I agree with Gola about the international football standard. Also, Ireland was pretty young then and certainly not the player he was. The reason I believe in Reid is due to his recent performances and that article by Michael Walker in the Irish Times that made the case that he can now run 90 minutes and will work box-to-box. I struggle to believe that he couldn’t stick to Trap’s system. And sure fuck it, sometimes you need a player to break out and create a moment of magic.

Andy Reid is fast developping Jamie Redknapp status.

Rock has an interesting point about the need for a more solid type of player at international level because you don’t play with each other that often and there’s less room for error because of so few games. Hadn’t really thought of it that way.

Still don’t think Reid is really that much of luxury player though. Actually seems to work fairly hard any time I see him and is definitely one of the only creative players we have.
If he’s really got himself fit I’d definitely have him in the team or at least one of the men coming on.

I don’t agree with any of this.

Well to be more precise I don’t agree with any of Rocko’s posts here.

Or MBBs - although unsurprisingly he hasn’t really said anything or answered by question.

I agree with KIB :eek:

I think Andy Reid has been massively hard done by and is a victim of Trapp wanting to lay down a marker to the Irish media. It is simply incredible to think he is not deemed good enough for the squad. Tactics has nothing to do with this and anyone who thinks differently is simply deluded.

Cast your mind back to the Georgia game. Reid was selected in the squad, but didn’t start. What that struck me was Trapp being unsure of his players and wanting to give Whelan a go in midfield and he wanted a more defensive midfielder. Fair enough.

Reid was picked in the next squad as well but again was picked on the bench. This is after the hotel incident. The Irish media were clamouring for his inclusion and lo and behold Reid is never in another squad. I feel it was an ultimate lay down a marker from Trapp to the Irish media that he wasn’t to be bullied and Reid got caught in the middle.Trapp has got us to a chance of the WC so we can’t be too critical of him but let’s be clear about this.

We have a non functioning midfield in all respects (on the ball and defensively) currently and Reid is a better option in there for me.

The distinction of international football is a red herring as well - Reid must be able to play in midfield in a 4-4-2 in club football then seeing as the distinction is made.

Also I would have Reid ahead of McGeady or Hunt as a winger.

Disagree with you farmer if you think Reid should be in ahead of McGeady. On ability I’d have him in the squad but I think attitude plays a massive part in a teams success. Some players are talented but they just aren’t worth the baggage that goes with them. Marc Viduka for example was a skillful player who showed good potential at Celtic but he was so lazy it was untrue. This laziness spread throughout the team and affected morale. Not saying Reid has as poor an attitude as Viduka (don’t think he has the class of him yet either mind) but if Trap has left him out because of negative influence like sulking or poor attitude then I can understand this.

Montengro news: Vucinic is apparently out for 2 months with a knee injury…

Jovetic is a big concern also

What did Reid do though Larry? We have heard lots about this hotel incident but it clearly wasn’t enough for Trapp to leave him out of the next squad.

Baggage? Yeah he carries a bit of weight but he has slimmed well down now and is playing great stuff.

Ah for fuck sake. :smiley:

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]What did Reid do though Larry? We have heard lots about this hotel incident but it clearly wasn’t enough for Trapp to leave him out of the next squad.

Baggage? Yeah he carries a bit of weight but he has slimmed well down now and is playing great stuff.[/quote]

I don’t know what he did but his attitude was reported as being suspect at the time I know. No one outside the camp probably knows the ins and outs but I’d find it strange if it were all just down to purely his footballing ability and I don’t have a problem with that in the slightest.
If all players were available I would have McGeady, Duff and Hunt ahead of him at the moment. Signals are that Lawrence will be starting ahead of Hunt on Saturday according to Tony O’Donoghue though signals last time were McGeady would be in ahead of Hunt so I’d take it with a pinch of salt.

TRapp is some stubborn bastard
We are not blessed with midfield talent
Neither of our two most talented midfielders are in the squad one by choice the other by the managers choice
I mean he’s chosen this lad from QPR instead of Reid. What’s he playing at? Unfortunately I believe we’ll be found out when we have to actually win a game against proper opposition. That’s when we’ll need Reid and he won’t be there

[quote=“gola”]Surely the old ‘in international football’ thing is a bit outdated now. The standard isn’t that great for the most part. Any of the teams we have played recently, Cyprus, Montenegro etc with the exception of Italy, would be beaten by most EPL teams, and even Italy would struggle against the likes of Man Utd who Reid played against recently.
Anyone who says otherwise has a personal grudge against him eg Trap.[/quote]

there isnt one striker in the EPL as good as vucinic or one midfielder as good as Jovetic . Montenegro would trounce any EPL team -

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]TRapp is some stubborn bastard
We are not blessed with midfield talent
Neither of our two most talented midfielders are in the squad one by choice the other by the managers choice
I mean he’s chosen this lad from QPR instead of Reid. What’s he playing at? Unfortunately I believe we’ll be found out when we have to actually win a game against proper opposition. That’s when we’ll need Reid and he won’t be there[/quote]

trap knows more than you or any other bull thick muldoon on this site- he is a brillaint manager & if you cant understand the intrincities of his tactics its better to keep silent - football isnt about individuals- its about tactics

[quote=“larryduff”]Disagree with you farmer if you think Reid should be in ahead of McGeady. On ability I’d have him in the squad but I think attitude plays a massive part in a teams success. Some players are talented but they just aren’t worth the baggage that goes with them. Marc Viduka for example was a skillful player who showed good potential at Celtic but he was so lazy it was untrue. This laziness spread throughout the team and affected morale. Not saying Reid has as poor an attitude as Viduka (don’t think he has the class of him yet either mind) but if Trap has left him out because of negative influence like sulking or poor attitude then I can understand this.

[B]Montengro news: Vucinic is apparently out for 2 months with a knee injury…

Jovetic is a big concern also[/B][/quote]

ah bollix- wont be heading to bigot park so

Answered what question farmer?

Oasis or Blur?

2 minutes later…

WTF… :confused::confused::smiley:

a bit of Me,myself and Irene going on there fakecrake…

I think Reid is worth his place either in midfield or out wide tbh. Surely, losing 2 stone or whatever is indicative of an improved attitude and ability wise he’s miles ahead of Whelan, Andrews, Rowlands and Hunt. McGeady frustrates the fook out of cos he still hasn’t produced in green.

I can’t see the Italians being too anxious to press us so Reid would have time on the ball and would have a fair better chance of retaining possession and/or creating something than Whelan, Andrews, Rowlands (assuming he played centrally).

And out wide he’s been producing great form for Sunderland recently so I’d definitely have him there ahead of Hunt. Far better end product and again Hunt’s ball retention ain’t too hot.

Doesn’t really matter what I think Though. Trap picks the team and I’m sure it’ll be another brutal game of football.