Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

I can’t believe the clap being spouted in here, there’s even someone comparing Andy fucking Reid to Pirlo, Pirlo I fucking ask you!

My reading of the situation was (and much and all as we can all shite on, only Trap and possibly Reid know the true story) Trap was unhappy with the players discipline. From the pitch side of things, he didnt see a role for Reid in his system, thats the nub of the whole argument, Trap does not see any role for Reid in his team.

So why should he have him in the squad? To provide something different you say? But Trap doesn’t want something different, and he’s willing to live or die by that decision. I think his record should allowe him that luxury, don’t you?

what happens off the ball is oft more important than what hhappens on the ball- the use of space & the 4 reference points I talked about earlier is what top managers select their teams on- Reid clearly isnt good when he doesnt have the ball at his feet

thats If your team has an inferiority complex…but the great sides like Barcelona,United and your beloved Real madrid don’t play like this…

It’s more about recognising ability than having an inferiority complex. Ireland aren’t good enough to control the ball like Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Even at that Reid’s non-adherence to a system would have him out of the Barca team even if he was good enough to play at anywhere near that level. They’re a lovely fluid team going forward but they possibly have more defined roles than any other side currently playing. Reid doesn’t belong in systems like that.

As NCC has said, football is all about space. Reid occupies too much of it to be effective.

[quote=“Rocko”]
As NCC has said, football is all about space. Reid occupies too much of it to be effective.[/quote]

Was that on purpose? Either way, great stuff. :wink:

It was of course. I’m a legend don’t you know.

Andy Reid will put his guitar down the next time He is told to.

Trap is the Big Daddy.

a piss take i assume- the greatest sides of all utilised space as much as possible- one of the reason i dont really like televised football is that you cant see what the players without the ball are doing & where they are in relation to the 4 reference points O mentioned earlier

Good point. Well made.

Who were the greatest sides of all?

[quote=“tipptops*”]
Who were the greatest sides of all?[/quote]

Christ, thats a thread all of its own surely?!

[quote=“tipptops*”]Good point. Well made.

Who were the greatest sides of all?[/quote]

sacchis milan, michels ajax

Good choices.

Did you see either in the flesh?

[quote=“tipptops*”]Good choices.

Did you see either in the flesh?[/quote]

yes- saw milan a good few times & saw michels dutch team which were built on the same principles

Any team playing in modern day football that you would put in the same bracket as those two?

id put the last of the 3 great Valeriy Vasylyovych Lobanovskyi teams as been built on the same principles but obvioulsy not as successful

Spain - 2008?

Lawrence and Hunt may start tomorrow but I reckon McGeady should get the nod myself. All this talk that he hasn’t delivered for us is unfair when you take campaign as a whole

Republic of Ireland winger Aiden McGeady aims to maintain his World Cup “dream” by beating reigning champions Italy in Dublin tomorrow.

The Celtic star has played in countless cup finals, Old Firm matches and Champions League games but he admits the Croke Park clash will rank alongside anything he has experienced.

McGeady’s side will secure a play-off spot with victory over the Italians – and move one point behind the Group Eight leaders ahead of Wednesday’s final fixtures.

“It will probably be one of the biggest games of my career,” McGeady told www.celticfc.net.

“If we win, the group is wide open and even a draw almost guarantees us second place in the group. But it’s a game we want to win, especially because we are at home.

“So far, we’re unbeaten in the group and a win would be unbelievable.

“Italy are still world champions and it’s going to be tough, but we’re all looking forward to the challenge.

“Reaching a World Cup would be unbelievable. Growing up, it’s something you dream of.

“You want to test yourself against the best players on the biggest stage and hopefully that dream can come true for me.”

The Boys in Green have lost home friendlies against Poland and Australia under former Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni but they are unbeaten in competitive action and McGeady aims to keep that record up.

The Republic, who are five points ahead of third-placed Bulgaria, host Montenegro on Wednesday in their final qualifier.

McGeady, 23, added: “Irish domestic football isn’t massive, but there will be a lot of coverage of these two games and the papers will be dominated by what’s going on in the games and training.

“It’s always like that, but this time it will be even more intense because we have put ourselves in a good position to go and qualify.

“Croke Park has a huge capacity and it will be an unbelievable occasion for us in the two games.

“My one wish is that we go and do ourselves justice against Italy and Montenegro.

“Our recent friendly results haven’t been great, but we’re unbeaten in qualification and we want to keep that record up.”

Shay Given,
John O’Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Kevin Kilbane,
Liam Lawrence, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady,
Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane.

Lawrence’s first competitive game for Ireland, St. Ledger’s first time in Croker.

Surely Italy will (as every team has so far) target the Kilbane and McGeady side constantly. Killer is such a weakness there it’s not funny. McGeady ain’t great at defending either, going forward he’s superb though.
Will be at this game tomorrow, expecting the usual shite atmosphere at Ireland games.

0-0

What are they charging in to it Pikeman?

Dunno-I got freebies.
Reading though that the Italy tickets have to be bought as a package with the Montenegro game on Wednesday, so it will cost between 100 and 170, whether you want to go to the second game or not.