Ireland Verus Italy - 10/11/09

[quote=“Pikeman”]Shay Given,
John O’Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Kevin Kilbane,
Liam Lawrence, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady,
Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane.

Lawrence’s first competitive game for Ireland, St. Ledger’s first time in Croker.

Surely Italy will (as every team has so far) target the Kilbane and McGeady side constantly. Killer is such a weakness there it’s not funny. McGeady ain’t great at defending either, going forward he’s superb though.
Will be at this game tomorrow, expecting the usual shite atmosphere at Ireland games.

0-0[/quote]

Is the atmosphere really shite Pikeman? Wjat sort of crowd would be at thgis game, would it fill Croker? Surely then the atmosphere would be great?

[quote=“Pikeman”]Shay Given,
John O’Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Kevin Kilbane,
Liam Lawrence, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady,
Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane.

Lawrence’s first competitive game for Ireland, St. Ledger’s first time in Croker.

Surely Italy will (as every team has so far) target the Kilbane and McGeady side constantly. Killer is such a weakness there it’s not funny. McGeady ain’t great at defending either, going forward he’s superb though.
Will be at this game tomorrow, expecting the usual shite atmosphere at Ireland games.

0-0[/quote]

The combination of Lawrence,Whelan,Andrews and McGeady must be the most shite midfield ever to represent an Irish soccerball team,it has to be.

Yeah it’s poor enough in my opinion-had to get lads with drums and the like and a singing section in to raise the atmosphere but it’s never really worked in Croker. The stadium just ain’t suited to soccer. Also the fact that there’s no fans on Hill 16 at all doesn’t help (Think it was only the Brazil match where they had fans there if I remember correctly)
The only game that there was an unbelievable atmosphere at was the Poland friendly-and that was all down to the Polish-singing, chanting, roaring all night they were.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Yeah it’s poor enough in my opinion-had to get lads with drums and the like and a singing section in to raise the atmosphere but it’s never really worked in Croker. The stadium just ain’t suited to soccer. Also the fact that there’s no fans on Hill 16 at all doesn’t help (Think it was only the Brazil match where they had fans there if I remember correctly)
The only game that there was an unbelievable atmosphere at was the Poland friendly-and that was all down to the Polish-singing, chanting, roaring all night they were.[/quote]

No one on Hill 16 - I assume that its because its a terrace and UEFA rules don’t allow supporters there? Sad state of affairs. Match not on Setanta or SBS over here, so I won’t be able to watch it.

You know you’re in trouble when you have to bring in the artifical “entertainment” pre-match. Like with the All Ireland final, I found myself agreeing with Pat Spillane and Brolly about the drummers and fireworks before the match, an All Ireland final doesen’t need artificial atmosphere boosters, unfortunately a Republic of Ireland soccer match does. Maybe when they’re back at the “home” things will improve (I take no pleasure in any of this BTW).

Also BTW - love your avatar Pikeman!

[quote=“Pikeman”]Yeah it’s poor enough in my opinion-had to get lads with drums and the like and a singing section in to raise the atmosphere but it’s never really worked in Croker. The stadium just ain’t suited to soccer. Also the fact that there’s no fans on Hill 16 at all doesn’t help (Think it was only the Brazil match where they had fans there if I remember correctly)
The only game that there was an unbelievable atmosphere at was the Poland friendly-and that was all down to the Polish-singing, chanting, roaring all night they were.[/quote]

there was a samba band thrown in for good measure on the hill when brazil came to town. like the polish game, they made all the noise.

And that was just the Gort crowd

Cant wait for this. Many areas I’d be concerned about and cant see us dominating the game the way we did in Bari. Would have gone for Hunt myself ahead of Lawrence but hopefully will be proved wrong. Ole Ole.

[quote=“Pikeman”] Also the fact that there’s no fans on Hill 16 at all doesn’t help (Think it was only the Brazil match where they had fans there if I remember correctly)
[/quote]

This is nonsense, there has been plenty of matches with fans on the Hill, Wales, Slovakia, Germany, Brazil, Bulgaria, Italy tonight.

Atmosphere is shite though

[quote=“Brian Fantana”]This is nonsense, there has been plenty of matches with fans on the Hill, Wales, Slovakia, Germany, Brazil, Bulgaria, Italy tonight.

Atmosphere is shite though[/quote]

There was no one on the hill for Bulgaria and Slovakia anyway-maybe the others did alright.

Will there be anyone on the Hill tonight? Was half seated for the Cyprus game with the rest empty, I know as I was sitting on it myself.

Can’t believe the fall off in interest in the Irish team, whereby this game isn’t even a sell out yet all the six nations games and autumn internationals see a massive scramble for tickets.
What are the reasons for this do ye think lads, bad marketing, team not popular or what?

[quote=“gola”]Will there be anyone on the Hill tonight? Was half seated for the Cyprus game with the rest empty, I know as I was sitting on it myself.

Can’t believe the fall off in interest in the Irish team, whereby this game isn’t even a sell out yet all the six nations games and autumn internationals see a massive scramble for tickets.
What are the reasons for this do ye think lads, bad marketing, team not popular or what?[/quote]

85 for a stand ticket maybe? Or having to buy a package with the Black Mountain game. Emmet Malone had an article during the week showing how much more expensive an Ireland game is compared to games of our Euro cousins. Probably didn’t do much to boost ticket sales.
There’ll still be about 70,000 at it which isn’t too bad in fairness!

[quote=“Thrawneen”]85 for a stand ticket maybe? Or having to buy a package with the Black Mountain game. Emmet Malone had an article during the week showing how much more expensive an Ireland game is compared to games of our Euro cousins. Probably didn’t do much to boost ticket sales.
There’ll still be about 70,000 at it which isn’t too bad in fairness![/quote]

Rugby is even more expensive, and I know they’d have a more affluent crowd, but still these autumn games aren’t competitive world cup games.
Is 85 euro really the price for stand ticks? thought that was just for premium level.

[quote=“gola”]Rugby is even more expensive, and I know they’d have a more affluent crowd, but still these autumn games aren’t competitive world cup games.
Is 85 euro really the price for stand ticks? thought that was just for premium level.[/quote]

Maybe it’s 70, I don’t know. The rugby thing is helped surely by the fact that Ireland are always at whatever tournaments are on, not needing to qualify or whatever.

[quote=“gola”]Will there be anyone on the Hill tonight? Was half seated for the Cyprus game with the rest empty, I know as I was sitting on it myself.

What are the reasons for this do ye think lads, bad marketing, team not popular or what?[/quote]

Must have my eyes closed.

Price of tickets added to the fact that if you don’t get a good seat for the soccer in Croker, you’re fooked-might as well be at home. My Uncle has gone to every home international since stone age times and has given up on matches in Croker as he got tickets with his family at the back of the Davin stand for one game and couldn’t see a thing-found himself watching the big screen for 90 minutes and as he said, would’ve been better off in a pub watching it.

Plus, international soccer is shockingly boring, especially the way we play it.

[quote=“Pikeman”]

Plus, international soccer is shockingly boring, especially the way we play it.[/quote]

People say Trap deserves his new contract but fuck me, the football he has us playing is turning a lot of people off the team. If we don’t qualify the fact we were difficult to break down away in Podorigca won’t be worth a shite.

His job is to get results and so far he has done very well and team have improved beyond all recognition. All very well saying it would be great to play lovely football but we don’t have the players really. Even if we don’t qualify our seeding will have hopefully being improved which is progress.

As for ticket prices I am glad FAI put two matches together as it will ensure decent crowd at Montenegro game and thus better atmosphere hopefully. Might stop some of big game fans from attending this one but tough shit. 100/140 is steep for both games but that compares pretty favourably to rugby and FAI released good few school tickets too so some of criticism is unfair

11/2 for the 0-0 fraw tonight, think i will a small piece of it

Was 7-1 earlier in the week, obviously quite a few of us on that one.

Bulgaria losing 2-0 in Cyprus!

If they lose that’s the play off guaranteed and we can throw caution to the wind tonight.