Ireland vs Armenia. Tuesday @ 7.45 i presume

After he turned europa league superstars into mid table journeymen

Christ, this needed to get more airtime in the MSM.

1 Like

Farrugia being linked with Malta, fs

1 Like

It’s not a results business

Contrasting treatment of Kenny and Southgate shows football is more than just a results business Contrasting treatment of Kenny and Southgate shows football is more than just a results business

Yet he did a good job with Bohs, Longford, Derry and Dundalk. Maybe, as a gallant Gael inspired by 1916, he sensed Rovers were a quisling club not in tune with his beliefs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

he’s going back 2 years for Englands good results… they just got relegated in the Nations league. He’s talking absolute rope

Kenny has had 2 years to blood the team and the results aren’t improving, the performances aren’t improving or consistent.

You’d forgive the results if we were performing consistently or there was some vision that given time, yeah Kenny will get us to the Euros.

We know he won’t.

You couldn’t stand there with your hand on you heart and say I’m confident Kenny will guide is to the Euros. There is no point giving him a campaign

he flopped at Dunfermline

Very mixed career

Sweep sweep

On the positive first time I can ever remember Ireland having an attacking player with the pace of Obafemi. Great to see. If we could only find a player who could supply him.

eh Bohs are a british army team mate, a gael wouldnt manage there

Bit of talk that this Finn Aziz could be fast tracked to senior team. Must be a great talent.

Azaz? He’s 22 and at nothing with Villa. Youre some man for a bit of hype.

The problem is, who does have the right template to play football. McCarthy had them going well in 2000-2002 with a superior batch of players. Since then we have been atrocious, negative beyond belief.

yes, we were atrocious when we defeated Germany Italy & Wales alright

Do you remember those games, it was like the fucking Alamo against Germany and Wales, Italy B was a great result seeing they had already qualified. You are some dope.

I reckon Italy B already qualified was still a step up on Armenia at home in a dead rubber mate.

1 Like

We had France on the brink in Lyon.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt more alive as i did that Sunday afternoon.

1 Like

McCarthy and Kerr were the last two managers since Jackie Charlton to do a good job. McCarthy rebuilt Jackies team and we were absolutely shocking in his early years, he got a chance and it came right around 2000/2001 with the players Brian Kerr nurtured to championship wins coming in and huge positivity around the whole thing.

We were ranked 56 in the world in 1998 and by the time McCarthy left we were ranked 14th. Kerr got Ireland up to 12th, people forget friendlies were important back then for world rankings and getting seeded for Qualifying campaigns. Trapattoni stabilised the whole thing for a few years and got us back in to the top 25 in 2011. then we went in to freefall falling as low as 70 by the time trap left. We were a shambles. O’Neill then came in and got us back in to the top 25 by 2016. We’ve been in free fall since. We’ll drop out of the top 50 again soon for the first time since 2013

McCarthy rebuilt and did the best job of any Irish manager I think, in the history of the association first time round
Kerr, who provided the backdrop to that with his remarkable work (which should never be forgotten) with the underage teams kept momentum.
We appointed Stan then and it was a fuck up - really was.
A succession of managers patched us together for over a decade then with the backdrop of a terrible association running things and a declining standard of players. Somehow we went from having players dining at the top table in the big leagues to having lads struggling for games at championship teams.

He also says Kerr got 2 campaigns? Were we not gone by the time he took over his ‘first’ campaign?

We weren’t gone as there was only a handful of games played when he took over. But were on the back foot