Irelands greatest ever Statesman -Martin McGuinness

Take Jarry out of that

3 Likes

Maybe @Rocko can make it a thread of its own. I’m ignorant enough on that matter.

I dont know, any man that had the admiration of Nelson Mandela must have something about him … Gerry was asked to be in the guard of honour at Mandela’s funeral - not many Whites had that privilege.

4 Likes

I wonder was Nelson aware that he was a paedophile protector?

3 Likes

Send the ANC a letter and they might let you know.

1 Like

By he, are you referring to Drew Harris RUC?

Really? Very little insight into the man. More like a potted history of northern Ireland based on archives and some interviews taken from the GFA documentary. The interview with paisley’s wife was good though.

How did you make that out? Are you planning on getting into another long debate defending your hero for protecting a paedophile?

Mandela identified with the anti-colonial struggle here in Ireland and saw straight through the apartheid system in the north. FF and FG couldnt see these things in their own country nor in Mandela’s - they supported apartheid and colonialism… Yet a man from another continent, jailed for most of his life, could see the ills in Ireland as plain as day …

John Hume was a great man - a warrior in his own way. He decided dialogue was the way to go … -

B-Specials, gerrymandering, protestant mobs, and then para murder squads …Martin wanted to fight back - a butcher’s apprentice from Derry almost brought the British empire to its knees … Plenty will speak and judge through a modern lens - and of course some of the later IRA atrocities can never be excused — But as a young man growing up in your home town, being regarded as a second class citizen in an apartheid state and then to witness the murder and injustice carried out by British murder squads - Who here wouldnt be tempted to fight back?

He took control of the IRA before the GFA also when other elements were gearing up to reject peace — I think he more than anyone recognized a long way back that violence wouldnt achieve anything in the end and it was a long road turning the ship towards that path.

Whatever your ideology - he makes for a fascinating character.

10 Likes

I was reading the Wikipedia page on Harland and Woolf today. 500 Catholic workers let go in 1970 when the company started running into difficulties. The Guardian describe it is a “sectarian icon”. FG and the Irish Times push the narrative of Belfast’s glorious history before the Troubles.

Worth reposting -

Kneck and Kneck

Nelson married Whinnie.
Enough said.

2 Likes

I feel asleep during the doc last night. Was it any good?

Is there a term for answering a question prior to it being asked ??

I could be doing the doc an injustice. I might have fallen asleep first during the Project Fear News

1 Like

What’s black and slides down Nelson’s column?

2 Likes

Brilliant post mate.

1 Like

What McGuinness did for the recent sf surge in the south cannot be under estimated either.
He became a lightening rod for every RA atrocity during the presidential campaign. You had lads like Ed Walsh and Peter Sutherland doing op eds saying we shouldn’t be letting him run.
The look over there IRA deflection tactic employed by FFG and their media cronies hasn’t been as effective since imo

3 Likes

The lack of houses , poor health service , malgovernance , etc led to the last SF surge . Very very little to do with MMG tbh .