Ireland's health service

Fack Dan. That sounds horrific. I take it your weren’t wearing a helmet at the time?

That’s the point you idiot. Some of the people diagnosed are not autistic.

I work with a number of kids weekly with various “conditions”.

Have you worked with them?

Every week I hear a parent say…

I think she is dyslexic

I think she may have autism

I think he has Aspergers

They go in to GP and it and they are only too happy to push them that way.

My mate got called into school last week by teacher thinking child “might be dyslexic”. Child just was nervous about reading in front of the class and was avoiding it. Teacher wanted to label them.

Ironically that’s in @fenwaypark parish.

And all that contradicts you

Yeah pal.

A S&C expert like yourself knows more about young peoples medical issues than GP’s and other health professionals.

A teacher can’t diagnose dyslexia mate, if the he had concerns about the child’s reading though surely bringing it to the parents attention can’t do any harm

You said it.

So why tell a parent it’s a possibility so?

Comfortable more experienced than most GP’s ya.

GP’s are generalists. The clue is in the name.

How many GP’s do you know that work weekly with kids?

Spend enough tine with them, particularly in a group.

You will quick enough who is truly autistic and who is not even though often put into same box.

It was a roasting hot night and I took off my helmet and 2 mins later both my front teeth were in my hand! The dentist did a good job at the time but just needed to be reparied again after so long.

To double down the idiocy about 10 years later playing rugby id no gumshield in and smashed another of my front teeth so i have a seperate implant there.

Yes i am a fkn eejit

This is a very valid point

Its just been completely lost in your claim that the autism spectrum doesnt exist

1 Like

As always, the completely irrelevant anecdotal stories which demonstrate nothing other than your total ignorance of the subject. Yes I know a fair bit about mental illness, neurology, and brain science as I’ve worked in the brain imaging field for years and have a serious interest in the subject, have taken graduate level classes and try and stay up to date on the research. I have two close family friends who have autistic kids and have seen first hand what dealing with it is like, from infant to teenage years. The latter is anecdotal but at least it’s relevant.

Diagnosing autism is quite difficult unless the kid has it very severe, like doesn’t speak. Testing is generally not done until at least 3 or 4 years of age as thats when the symptoms become apparent. There is no credible child physiologist who would misdiagnose a child with autism, the testing is quite rigerous and if there is any doubt they would not make a positive diagnosis, so you are talking complete crap there.

However the downside of a rare misdiagnosis is irrelevant compared to the importance of an early diagnosis. Except for the most severe cases, many autistic kids respond well to cognitive therapy and most can have fruitful lives. Like everything the earlier it’s treated the better.

Roughly 1 in 50 males have autism and 1 in 200 girls, that rises to 1 in 4 and 1 in 20 if a sibling has it, the strongest evidence it’s an inherited genetic disorder.

Regardless of how many kids you “work with” you have zero knowledge or experience to comment on mental disorders. It’s natural for a parent to worry about their kids, but any parent who discusses a potential mental disorder with a lad who trains their kid to run around a field is a fucking clown.

I agree with you there are lots of idiots around with bullshit opinions. you are exhibit A.

11 Likes

This thread is gas .

It really doesn’t. There are autistic kids/people and there are not. The ones described by lebane are extremely difficult and it’s a serious disorder. It does get better, but mixed with puberty and many other growing aspects it can be unbelievably difficult.

I work with those too.

For some reason some people believe a GP knows better than people who actually work with them.

Nobody else here seems to. That does not make me actually expert. That makes me someone who had to learn fucking fast.

They trust me. And I invariably do well by their kids. Maybe that’s why.

I consider myself a go between between academic “experts” and the parents/child or even athletes/general population.

Aspergers fir instance is consider autism. And it’s probably the most misdiagnosed and definitely the one I see with the laziest/poorest parenting. Very often the kids are just smart and difficult and tested boarders and we’re never halted. See loads of that, in fact I have to try and redress it sometimes in groups

The irony is I used anecdotal evidence which is regular Interaction yet you support yours with “I know a parent”. Nothing wrong with that knowledge, but get off your high horse. You are exposing a completely myopic viewpoint

Can a GP diagnose autism?

No, but a lad who makes kids run around cones can.

8 Likes

I don’t agree with Kev on this but I respect the passion he has on this subject. I also believe he is a good influence on the kids he trains

12 Likes

You’ve just blew a hole right through your own argument. Aspergers is a very real disorder and is actually easier to diagnose than other disorders on the autism spectrum. It’s actually quite distinct from classic autism, although some of the symptoms are similar. Well done on rubbishing your own claim, Aspergers was only recently added to the autism spectrum of disorders.

This has been a very useful discussion as it helps explain why so many Cork people are demented.

Nope.
But they can refer them to Developmental Paediatrician.

There is a number of different ways

No, although they should be familiar enough with the symptoms to recommend a referral or not.

I agree, getting kids involved in sports is a worthy vocation. Sadly most autistic kids don’t do well at team sports but can excel at individual sports.

It did nothing if the sort. I treaTed as seperate in the aense that it is seen as lower end. But it is very clearly misdiagnosed all the time.

It is the classic modern case.