Irish People Poppy Watch

Paul “Poppy” O’Connell

5 Likes

Paul soup taking cunt o connell

8 Likes

Smithers brown nosing and parroting @Fagan_ODowd now.

cc @Tassotti

1 Like

i guess you arent being ironic by seeking external validation for your post

cc @padjo

Little over an hour to go…

Lest we forget

3 Likes

God knows what kind of tyranny we would be living under only for their sacrifice

3 Likes

It’s always a relief when the death cult finishes up for another year.

6 Likes

Nice piece from Carlow football manager Turlough O’Brien.

Armistice Day 100

I never gave much thought to the First World War. Sure I learned about it in history class but our interest in history would have been Irish history and while we did cover WW1 I don’t remember talking very much about the loss of life suffered by the thousands of Irish men who fought in The Great War.They fought for a variety of reasons – many fought to put food on the kitchen table, others for the promise of Home Rule yet others fought for the Crown and ‘the freedom of small nations’. I guess we were ambivalent about it at best. Yet almost 50,000 Irishmen lost their lives in the most inhumane conditions imaginable.

In 2010 I was fortunate, along with Ronan, to have the opportunity to cycle from Canterbury to Rome along an ancient pilgrimage route, The Via Francigena. That was an amazing experience in so many different ways but perhaps the most unexpected was that it brought WW1 right into the present day for both of us. Our planning hadn’t factored in that we would be cycling through areas of France that were in the front line of battle. It was a shock to the system to suddenly come across, on Monday 6th September, small beautifully kept cemeteries along the 60kms of backroads of France between Arras and Peronne.

We stopped and paid our respects at each little graveyard and it was one of the most emotional places and moving things I have ever done. It really brought home the futility of war to walk among row after row of identical white memorial headstones and read the ages of these teenage soldiers who all died in vain, for the nations of Europe were to repeat those mistakes again and again.

It was lovely to see how well maintained all the cemeteries were.

This post is to mark the one hundred anniversary of Armistice Day and to help us not forget.

I think you’ve your wars mixed up. Britain stuck their noses in 1914 when they had no need to.

The subsequent treatment of Germany and the treaties of France and Britain led to the rise of the Nazis and the need to fight against tyranny in ww2

Absolutely. The Kaiser and the Sultan were a right pair of fascist tyrants. The only shame is it took another 27 years and another World War to see of fascism.

2 Likes

go way and educate yourself, start with the 1839 Treaty of London

3 Likes

Lee Clegg getting drunk on warm beer

2 Likes

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson&ved=2ahUKEwj3nqKJlMzeAhXIDMAKHdgeA7IQFjALegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3F74BIrFzNrmQhwcibfHlo&ampcf=1

The Brits were always grand lads to pick and choose which treaty they’d go to war over.

They shit themselves when Napoleon ran through Europe like a dose of salts.

Thank fuck for the Russians. The real reason all those wars were won

2 Likes

Very very simplistic and 21st century rationale

agreed

mass murderer stalin saved the world from mass murderer hitler

1 Like

75% of Germans were killed on the Eastern front in ww2

how do you make that complex?

1 Like

Nothing to do with anything I said or responded to

I wasn’t alive until then mate.

He’s a history teacher at Harvard,. You’re a teacher at Bally go backwards someplace.

Have you researched it? Produced any peer reviewed journals on it?

Maybe it’s simplistic because its correct?

1 Like

christ you pretend ira lads are pathetic, trying to rewrite history with anti British bullshit at every opportunity, that little fascist Napoleon was sent packing good and proper by us, no surprise to see the pretend ira supporting facisim

1 Like

anything of substance to back that point up mate