Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) šŸ

6 years and 6 goals

1 Like

He has done very very well

Iā€™ve browsed through the comments of the Southampton fans. 95% of them love him. Mainly for his work rate and being a pest :joy:. They seem to have no issue that he isnā€™t a prolific scorer. They accept him for what he is

1 Like

Honest as the day is long. He was treated disgracefully by McCarthy.

1 Like

In fairness to him, he has had a great career - set for life now financially etc,

Deserves it for that goal against the Germans alone.

3 Likes

Heā€™s had a disappointing enough Irish career outside that goal in fairness

1 Like

Cant say that, Mick is friendly with all the Irish journalists, canā€™t be critiscied.

Mick got a lot of criticism both times as manager from journalists, some of it unwarranted I think

Wait until you see the reaming Stephen Kenny is going to get

1 Like

I disagree, Ireland were an absolute shambles in heā€™s 2nd term. Starting James Collins with Shane long not in the squad was a disgrace. Very little criticism from journalists on that move though.

He lost once in 10 matches

1 Like

He got a lot of criticism. The qualification campaign wasnā€™t that bad. We finished 3rd behind two teams that got to the knockouts of the last World Cup and on the balance of play probably deserved to beat Denmark and qualify in the final game. Shane Long was injured for the majority of the campaign and also hasnā€™t been very good for Ireland overall

Iā€™d imagine Shane isnā€™t being measured on his goal scoring record. Klopp light wants them running around like lunatics pressing the opposition and Shane Long was born for that role.
Heā€™s been replaced a few times on that team over the years by different lads and always fights his way back in, great sign of a lad I think.

1 Like

Yeah drew twice with a more talented Denmark side and drew at home to the Swiss too. A little bit too conservative with his selection of Glenn Whelan and not starting Matt Doherty more regularly.

1 Like

Glenn Whelan was one of our best players in the campaign. Agreed on Doherty

1 Like

He was very good at home to the Swiss to be fair to him, but surely we had a better option than a 36 year old whoā€™d just been released by Hearts.

Our problem is lack of goalscorers Shane doesnā€™t exactly help there. Your man McGoldrick is Shane long but taller so it wouldnā€™t make much difference really. The two of them upfront would be a nightmare for defenders but a dream for goalkeepers

I think Doherty was unfortunate in the fact he was vying for the same spot as our captain and one of our other better players. In hindsight he performed better than Coleman at right back when he played there v Denmark but would have been a big call to leave Coleman out. Playing Doherty our of position didnā€™t work.

Mcgoldrick while not a goal scorer is very different to long. Much better at holding the ball up and playing with his back to goal and a much more technical player. Long better at being direct and running the channels

2 Likes

Ah sure if heā€™s playing well for us I couldnā€™t give a bollocks if heā€™s playing for Finn Harps or Man Utd at club level, weā€™ve had plenty of lads limited at club level do a job for us and other lads playing at a higher level look average for Ireland

1 Like