Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

Kenny is fond of a 4-3-3. Thats his formation of choice for the 21s anyway.

What’s the story with James McCarthy?

The Irish epl fans and epl obsessed media have an overblown sense of how good we are

O Neil got hammered foe drawing in Serbia

2 Likes

Brian Kerr got eviscerated for being pragmatic and he also wasn’t good in a presser.

I fear Kenny will get murdered by the vultures

I think you are spot on here .

While he must be only 17 or 18, Joe Hodge at Man City looks to be a lovely footballer. He has already floated between Irish and English set ups, be a shame to lose out on another talented player.

He was back in the Crystal Palace team before the lockdown.

Hes a banker for the holding midfield spot so. A fine player

I’ll be honest here. I’m biased against Kerr and Kenny

The argument about the style of football is overblown by section of support and media . People want a successful team and it that entails Wimbledon hoof ball then that is fine . It isn’t like people are watching week in week out .

Would you carry that into the national team?

Pat’s and Boas? Kenny managed Rovers for a spell didnt he

He set Rovers back years and is a joyless prick

Kerr is an ego and hams up his persona

3 Likes

I think the argument is we don’t even do that effectively at times. Hitting 80 yard balls to Didsy and he in splendid isolation is just pointless and infuriating

1 Like

I can’t see how Coleman would be good in a back three.

1 Like

Agreed. Everyone of us would love to go back ti the Jack Charlton days

True but if it is successful people will by and large tolerate agricultural football . Let’s be honest in the last 2 tournaments we got favourable draws and did okish . The play off v Denmark was a huge blot on MON copybook but remember we drew first leg away .

He isn’t an outstanding defender from right back, let alone centre. Coleman’s whole thing was bombing up and down the flank, being an outlet. That was a horrible injury at a horrible time of his career.

How Kenny deals with Coleman will be telling.

The injury has clearly taken a lot from him. The brutal reality is that on form over the last year or two Doherty has been the superior player.

Does Kenny have the minerals to drop Coleman? The gimps on the likes of Off the Ball or the equivalent on 2FM will be screaming blue murder if the golden boy is dropped, even if it makes clear and logical sense.

Coleman has been a great player for Ireland but his openness with the media and generosity with charities definitely works in his favour among journalists. Doherty is a bit mouthy and certainly not lacking confidence but he’s the better of the two at the moment.

If Kenny goes changing formations to shoe horn in his captain he’s done for before he even starts.

Against better teams if you just keep giving them back the ball, they’ll eventually score. You can’t keep repelling wave after wave.

It’s possible to be as successful while playing a possession based game.

Look at Michael O’Neill up above. They’re tidy with a much less talented group than ours and have been performing very well.

You get the impression Seamus is popular in the dressing room and is a leader. That counts for something. He has a lot of respect amongst his peers.

I’d argue we’re lacking leadership. Especially if Kenny starts bringing in the younger guys.

It’s a tricky one. Doherty isn’t a terrific defender either. His marking leaves a lot to be desired. I think Coleman gives you more that way.

Coleman won’t leave you down for effort or application. I dunno about Doherty. A few Irish managers haven’t trusted him.

I was very critical of Stephens but hes been superb recently for Ireland. He has the 3 jersey all day

Did Kerr not win European Championships with Ireland U18’s and U16’s though? A superb achievement.