Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) šŸ

I think Duffy is the real leader of the team now.

Thereā€™s not too many other standout leaders in the squad, looking from the outside.

1 Like

The last 3 Irish managers have identified is that there was a huge attendant risk playing too much football at the back and midfield . It was better giving the ball away to the oppositionā€™s defenders rather than their forward players . The whole game plan was very pragmatic . We finished 3rd in both qualifiers which was about right .

MON (NI) has done well but no better than ROI over this period .

1 Like

Duffy is a great warrior and a real leader but he isnā€™t a guaranteed starter at B&HA this season , albeit he has been a bit injury prone

Thatā€™s the problem you see. Theres a perception that those managers have sacrificed lads capable of playing the ball properly to facilitate a hoof game.

I think the North have over achieved with the comparative playing pools

That spoofer at Brighton doesnā€™t fancy him

If Duffy isnā€™t playing we are fucked

The three managers in question all have varying cv s from brilliant , to very good and solid . They are came to broadly the same view on the style best suited to the players available .

Time will tell what style SK decides upon .

Agree with you on Duffy

The only one I was surprised with was Big Mick. His teams are almost exclusively possession based.

It think if he was long term weā€™d have seen a different approach but thatā€™s something weā€™ll never know

I said it at the start of the year, Mick was hamstrung coming into it with no friendlies or prep. The decision to keep a lame duck like Oā€™Neill for the Nations league really came home to roost once we got a couple of injuy

Kennyā€™s first game could be a one legged playoff, away for qualification for a major competition.

Has that been fixed yet?

:crazy_face:

Not fixed 100% yet but as things stand itā€™ll be in the September international window

Baptism of fire.

Ya. Heā€™ll have to stay going with Big Micks team and style for that one youā€™d imagine

I think it should be Doherty RB and Coleman RM. Neither are great defensively, Doherty was responsible for the Danish goal before he scored himself. The alternative to Coleman at RM is Hendrick. Coleman works harder than Hendrick and is as much as natural winger as Hendrick is. Coleman is probably still our technically best player and would help us keep possession a little better. Coleman is a better crosser than Hendrick. Weā€™ve previously played Steve Finnan on the right wing, with some success. The only thing he lacks is pace.

That might be a mistake. Trying to get the tweaks right for a formation and style that isnā€™t yours is a risky business. Even little things like set pieces, Kenny will have his own.

Iā€™d say weā€™ll see a 4 at the back. Players generally know it and are comfortable in it.

Coleman most certainly not is our best technical player

Iā€™d agree with that on Doherty.

I saw him up close in one of those Nations League games under Oā€™Neill and thought his attitude was terrible.

He seems to see international duties as almost beneath him, although he is clearly talented and was good against Denmark.

Iā€™d still have Coleman ahead of him.

Yes but also in fairness to Mick, MON also finished third in the group and that was only because of the Scots imploding even really. Mick didnā€™t get as many chances for ā€œthatā€ moment

Coleman was impressive in his early days at Everton playing RM. Not sure if he has the pace for that position nowadays though.

Doherty was the main reason we were much better against Denmark, heā€™s our best player