Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) šŸ

MON also picked up 4 points against the Germans though.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll play with a right midfielder under kenny.

I think weā€™ll see a midfield three and wide forwards. Like Robinson etc in 4-3-3.

McLean probably wont fit. Hendrick may be one of the three in midfield as he has energy and has previously shown he can play.

1 Like

Or as he is soon to be known ā€œAC Milanā€™s Jeff Hendrickā€œ

Iā€™d imagine weā€™ll have the same back 5 as against Denmark, Connolly on the left, Didsy in the centre and then 4 positions up for grabs with Hendrick likely to start in one of them. Jason Knight and Molumby could come into contention from the 21s for now and probably more to come in after that for the Nations League like Oā€™Shea, Idah, Obafemi, Parrott, Nathan Collins maybe

Theres hope for all of us

Debuts in a knock out qualifier?

Jesus I donā€™t know. Molumby is class and Kenny likes him so maybe him

Something like

Randolph
Doherty/Coleman Duffy Egan Stephens
McCarthy
Hendrick molumby/byrne/cullen/browne
Robinson Didsy Connolly

That is a mostly premier league starting eleven. Theres enough in that to take Slovakia surely.

We arenā€™t nearly as bad off as is made out

1 Like

The concern with Seamus Coleman is the he has really lost a lot of his pace .

Stevenā€™s is one of the fastest players in the premier league. Doherty is rapid. 4-3-3 puts emphasis on full backs to create mismatches out wide.

Having both of those would be very important to Kenny Iā€™d imagine.

of course - i was exploring the opportunity of trying to accommodate him in the team as the harsh reality of the mick mac regieme was we had to suffer blind loyalty to players like coleman and maclean.
things were really falling into place for the slovakia game, maclean was injured, coleman was dropped by everton and we had players like doherty and stevens flying at club level ( having proved their worth in recent internationals bar a shocking stevens first half at home v switzerland) and we had players like Long and james mac coming back into the fray and doing very very well in EPL

however - the realistic amougst us knew that mick wouldnt freshen things up- he was always going to start coleman and play our most in form player out of position (or at all) and if maclean could hop on one leg he would start him
lads have commented on dohertyā€™s attitide which i find harsh, his attitude at club level looks bag on and under mick he was been played way out of position in a directionless system devoid of leadership both on and off the pitch.
when he got his chance v the danes he took it - granted a howler for their goal but he more than made up for it - and i always said we should judge him when played in the right positionā€¦

coleman had a great career , is a stand up great guy but Taylorā€™s tackle fucked him up
its time now for him to step aside
keep him there for the dressing room presence and defensive cover , etc but leave it at that

Whoā€™s the cover for Stevens? The drop off from coleman to Doherty or vice versa isnā€™t so bad. Are we looking at McLean left full if Stevens is out? Big drop off there. Brady?

Brady is an interesting one. I wonder if heā€™d fit somewhere in Kennyā€™s thinking. Back to his best heā€™d be a fine addition.

Fuck it Iā€™m making myself optimistic :joy:

Iā€™d imagine if Stevens was injured and Coleman and Doherty were fit then Doherty would shift across to the left, heā€™s played there a good bit before

stevens looks like a fella who has a colossal fuck up due in a high profile game very soon
jesus lads he gives me the shivers at times
cc @Big_Dan_Campbell

I really rate mcgoldrick but not as an out and out striker. Number 10 is heā€™s best position in my opinion. No pace up front if mcgoldrick starts there.

Flank him with pace

I wonder would a 3-4-3 get the most out of the players available.

3-2-5 when attacking, like Dortmund. Doherty and Stevens are probably our best wide attacking threats as it is. This would maximize it. Like Dortmund do with Hakimi and Guerrero.

This becomes a 5-4-1 rigid when you lose the ball.

You need two midfielders in the 3-2-5 who very rarely turn over the ball to make it work. Otherwise 6 lads are making a lot of recovery runs.

Would we have two available that youā€™d trust to keep the ball all day?

I donā€™t think he more than made up for it. Not that he should be condemned for good because of one error but it fairly ruined our chances of winning.

Ah he was the main reason we played well on the night, a constant threat and able to break the lines with his passing and scoring himself obviously. The Denmark goal itself was after 75 minutes or so in a game which we needed to attack and desperately needed a goal. Hourihane more at fault for missing a sitter in the first half

I heard it reported a few weeks ago that Kenny confirmed Coleman will retain the captaincy. That suggests heā€™ll stay in the team obviously, but I donā€™t think I saw the exact Kenny quotes.

Is there something to back up the claims that Stevens is a speed merchant? Certainly doesnā€™t come across that way on tv or watching him live

+1. I thought he was a touch slow myself.