Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

It’s a big change - players need to and will adapt.

Thought Doherty looked laboured last night. Hourihane was just that - Hourihane.
They made the substitutions too late. Particularly O’Dowda. He was spent once they coped on to him turning inside every time.

Ireland’s yep most skillful players wee dropped by Spock :vulcan_salute:

How is a rovers and pars failure managing Ireland?

1 Like

Your soul lacks forgiveness.

Do you forgive Barnes?

I hate quizzes this early in the morning.

1 Like

The shootings will continue until morale improves

would there be any point in keeping the current formation but playing doherty on the right, maybe for o’dowda?

You gammon

3 Likes

No. Doherty is a wing back, hybrid type. Not really a traditional full back and definitely not a winger or wide attacker in a front three. His strength is coming from deep, playing passing combinations and putting in crosses on the run. If his starting position was much higher up the pitch as a winger then he’d have a full back up his hole and would often be receiving the ball to feet in confined spaces or even with his back to goal, like Connolly and O’Dowda were last night. He really needs to be playing one twos and/or coming onto the ball from deep to cross on the run or to get onto things on the back post, e.g. his goal against Denmark.

2 Likes

Wonder will Kenny stick closely to same line up for Finland or make “sweeping changes”

Didsy, Coleman will start I’d expect

‘Arry Arter and maybe Brady get a start

I think we need to get Adama Traore in at right wing for Ireland to attract all the attention down the flank so Doherty has far more room to manoeuvre.

1 Like

That’s why coleman might be better ---- Doherty has no midfielders to link up with to make his bursting runs / play 1-2s. … Maybe Brady might offer a bit more here - but no point playing Doherty if we cant utilize his strenghts. Coleman is the better defender.

He had three (3) days with them. Few little tweaks for the next day. Hourihane and Hendrick seemed to want to both drift wide and high, which is fucking stupid. It killed Stevens and Dohertys space to get forward and attracted players around dowda and Connolly, who were actually getting joy if they got their full backs one on one.

The tweak I’d make, assuming the same personnel is to have them move more inside, maybe 15 yards and make a diamond. It changes the whole pattern of play. If they push up into spaces between midfield and defence, they have to be followed, allows McCarthy to go get it and play 45 degree balls to them, gaps for full backs to push on and they are naturally in positions to play one twos with full backs/wingers.

I think that’s what Mr Kenny was intending but hourihane and Hendrick both have a natural tendency to drift. He has another 2 (two) training sessions before the next day.

I expect slight improvements in team selection and execution of performance

2 Likes

Too easy to defend against and no outlet… Our midfielders don’t show enough to get/ demand the ball or if they do it’s deep.

Spock has a few days to save his TFK backing/goodwill…if he doesn’t, it will be a short stint as manager.

1 Like

Another thing I saw that could be tweaked was that the press was uncoordinated. The front 3 would press, the midfield wouldnt and the high line was in place. That’s we got caught with balls over the top. If the front three go, midfield needs to put pressure on the ball. Or else the back 4 drop. Against a better team we’d have been hammered

Id go with travers, coleman, o’shea, egan, stevens, molumby, arter, robinson, mcgoldrick, brady, connolly, 4-2-3-1 formation. Try things on Sunday.

FYI the forum don’t be caught out

Would you play Brady behind McGoldrick?
I’d go with 3-5-2
Travers
Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens
Molumby, Arter, Hendrick
McGoldrick, Connolly

lads mcgoldrick is injured an won’t be available I’m fairly sure. He won’t change formation, he will have had approx 5 training sessions with the squad.

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
Browne McCarthy Brady
Robinson Connolly McLean