Irish Travellers - A Proud Ethnic Group

Where did I say that?

So should we cater for the ones who don’t want jobs and don’t to school their children so? You are dancing around the issue. This has come to a head in the UK

Gypsies and Travellers across Britain will be driven off sites they have made their home by new planning laws requiring them to prove that they are still itinerant. The move could cause a large increase in the number of unauthorised roadside camps, and force many families – including the infirm and those with children in school – on to the road against their will.

The new policy, quietly introduced by the Government, will block anyone identifying as a Gypsy or Traveller from staying on permanent caravan sites unless they can prove they have travelled several times that year. It is considered so discriminatory and unlawful that legal experts are already predicting a High Court challenge.

Are we meant to be catering for nomads or what?

Referee them as if they are normal citizens for beginners.
Revenue to hit them hard. Same with social welfare.
If they are driving a new 40grand vehicle maybe demand to know how they can afford it on benefits.
Have sw inspectors outside tinker weddings and communions demanding how it was paid for on benefits.

Unrealistic to expect them to somehow suddenly desire or understand the need for education or the concept of paying their own way within the system everyone else has to use but maybe if they were treated like me and you( as equai funny enough) it might be the sharp shock require d to get them acting like normal citizens.

8 Likes

How many exactly and what is your source for this?

1 Like

Winner Rating

1 Like

I’d imagine its from a pikey point survey, unfortunately, schools are bending over backwards to accommodate travellers but the effort isn’t being reciprocated, same applies to jobs and housing.

Wexford extended a warm welcome to the travelling community over the last few days.

Loads of pubs closing and heavy security in the town with many car parks closed.

Amusingly, Clonard Church car park was closed on Thursday and Friday with a sign erected stating the car park was for attendees at church services only. Essentially no travellers allowed here. So Jesus welcomes you, and you but not so much you and you.

I’m pretty sure it won’t be an issue tomorrow when they’ll be getting a fiver a car for punters going to the SHC final.

5 Likes

Are you implying that they’d be willing to let settled people live in the car park?

Not really, no.

Did you go to the funerals?

I did not.

Funding for traveller education programs was decimated over the last few years. I suppose you would argue its a waste of money anyway. The INTO think differently;

“Today, over eight thousand Traveller children attend regular primary schools with extra teaching support and nearly all transfer to post-primary. There are more than 3,000 pupils enrolled in post primary schools, a figure that is rising every year.”
So the money being put in to support programs was/is having a positive effect…

Heres the full article;

Local authorities decide fuck all. The travellers do that themselves. They call the shots every time and cry discrimination if they don’t get their way.

5 Likes

For a start they should never be allowed to create their own ghettos when taxpayers money is being spent on their housing. If they want to live in wagons, let them but no ghettos. I also want to see severe repercussions to the vile domestic violence and robbery that, not an insignificant minority are undoubtedly taking part in. School is not an optional extra and parents who do not facilitate their childrens education should be severely punished. Bottom line is that they should be held to account to the same standards as the rest of us. Otherwise they should be fucked out without any help.

1 Like

Where do you propose they get “fucked out” to? travellers are staying in school now more than ever before. Things were/are improving in that regard which would lead one to believe educational supports were having an impact. These supports have mostly been cut now though. See my previous post… I assume you would agree that this is not a good thing and a failure by govt to serve the needs of citizens of this country. It is a fact that travellers were discriminated against in the past especially in education where they were segregated in schools. Or do you dispute this. This might go some way to explaining the perceived lack of interest in education don’t you think…

2 Likes

Lovely footage on the news there of a traveller mother and daughter graduating from NUIM.

Not a bad looking lass either.

Two fine looking ladies.

Onto the hill of Knockfierna for all I care. If they insist on being a separate entity with regard to citizenship and despite millions being spent on them to integrate, educate and treat then they need to act like the vast majority of immigrants into the country. But there is no political will to force them to conform to something like normality. There was a recent example in Cork where €5 million was spent on a site but they refused to move in because there was no room for their horses. Who the fuck do they think they are? I know of one cunt in Kilmallock, maybe @balbec can help me out here, who had a house bought for him in the country but he couldn’t keep his horses so the council bought him a house out the Martinstown Rd where he could keep them in stables. How many hard working people do you know have been given this kind of service?

Where I come from, and live, is infested with travellers. Yes, there are some good ones but the majority are utter filth. CAB should have been brought in years ago but again, there would be cries from liberal lefty crusty types that there is discrimination. What about me and my family, and the shit we have to put up with?

12 Likes

Hear, hear.