Irish Travellers - A Proud Ethnic Group

You are too close to the story to be unbiased

I threw up a comparison with Iceland. Look at it.

Iceland is less corrupt than Ireland thatā€™s fine. Now keep going.

Prove what was corrupt with Siteserv?

Who benefitted?

Where is your proof?

And by the by, I think DOB is a total prick and campaigned actively for him to win Cunt of the Year 2015. Which he did.

DOBā€™s wealth in 1995 is a disgrace I wonā€™t disagree. But could that happen again? Since then the Irish state has implemented numerous pieces of EU regulation, UN anti corruption laws as well as whistleblothing laws. It isnā€™t perfect but itā€™s about getting better all the time.

http://m.algoodbody.com/insightspublications/protected_disclosures_act_2014_a_new_era_for_whistleblowing_in_ireland?

Iceland is not in the EU, thus, unlike Ireland, is a sovereign state. Iceland was free to ā€œburn the bondholdersā€, Ireland was not unless it voted to leave the EU which was never going to happen.

Will you two shut up, destroying a wonderful thread about tinkers.

I think the CBI were most at fault along with the big 4 crowd auditing those bullshit balance sheets at the time.

They kept the bullshit show on the road for bank fees.

AIBā€™s shares shouldā€™ve been kept by the government imoā€¦Nama has not been good for the rest of us.

Regardless it took balls to do the right thing mate.[quote=ā€œanon7035031, post:528, topic:17574, full:trueā€]
Iceland is not in the EU, thus, unlike Ireland, is a sovereign state. Iceland was free to ā€œburn the bondholdersā€, Ireland was not unless it voted to leave the EU which was never going to happen.
[/quote]

God u really havenā€™t a clue.

Iā€™m not talking about burning the bondholders. Iā€™m talking about the number of people jailed for their psrt in the crash.

Thatā€™s a lot of people, including all those that contributed to the property bubble, took out loans that had no ability to pay them back, etc.

The institutional investors buying up property across the country was a mistake by the current government.

I actually dont think it was deliberateā€¦but the market even in Limerick now is chronic as a result.

Throw up the figures there for the UK and rest of Europe like a good man so we can see how Ireland ranks. There would need to have been multiple hundreds jailed in the UK when you look at the size of their financial services industry relative to Irelandā€™s

Problem was a lot of what happened didnā€™t break any laws. Most of the blame falls on the office of the financial regulator and his Boss, Brian Cowen.

Thereā€™s your difference. There are consequences for Joe Soap. Even for those who didnā€™t borrow recklessly. However those that lent recklessly and were entrusted to prevent a crash got off scot free, apart from 2 or 3.

Politicians were held accountable in Iceland. Not here.

Sweet response.

Eh? Ireland has PR and is one of the most representive democracies in the world and the 2011/2016 elections both marked major changes in the elected assembly of this country.

Again, is this country perfect? NO
Is it the worst? NO

Stop being so glass half full.

If you saw nothing suspicious about Siteserve then u havenā€™t a clue.