Is rugby dead in Australia

The semi finals are on now. Team USA are winning vs New Zealand in front of a good crowd in San Francisc live on NBC.

Good to see growth in the game.

There was 12k at the game. 50% bigger attendance than was in Christchurch to see competition favs Crusaders win their QF which only attracted 8k.

Super rugby is fucked but iv been telling ye that for some time now.

I passed the Galwegians ground today. It appears to be for sale.

It is. Was expected to make 6 or 8m.

They had it sold for 25 bar before and I think they threw it up because a deal for their new grounds fell through.

Super rugby semi final on here in rugby mad Johannesburg. Lions v Waratahs. Good crowd in. Ellis Park must be one third full.

1 Like

Magnificent try from the Sprigbok winger Dyantyi

1 Like

A good 11,000 or so at the other semi final. A local derby in rugby mad New Zealand.

:joy::grin:

A Super Rugby semi final played in a stadium with poles holding up the stands. :smile:

Cc @Tim_Riggins

1 Like

Is that in Canterbury? The place struck by a devastating earthquake?

Really nice of you belittling them after going through such trauma.

3 Likes

Heā€™s on form at the moment. Sure he was belittling someoneā€™s sick mother last night

1 Like

The earthquake was 8 years ago.

Lancaster Park (which was extensively damaged in the earthquake) was a wonderfully atmospheric old stadium. Saw some big cricketing moments over the years as well. Nathan Astle got the fastest double century in test cricket against England in 2002.

Yes and you realize their stadium was made unusable because of that? They had just spent 10s of millions on the stadium before that.

They are playing in a temporary arena. There are some other priorities after your city is hit by an earthquake.

Happily Christchurch are now looking to invest in a proper multi sport arena. Top of the range stadium.

NZ used to be like ourselves in building shit heaps but have come on a lot in that respect.

The Forsyth Barr stadium is a wonderful arena for use of all sports, which takes into account the local weather conditions.

Imagine something similar built in Galway for use during big Provincial games, Galway GGA fixtures, Connacht rugby and some big soccer games?

That would be too good for Ireland. Better off with everyone putting a few million here and there for vanity projects.

As for your ongoing commentary on Super Rugby. Knowledgeable rugby football posters like myself and @gilgamboa have not hid from what a shit show it has become. It desperately needs to be disbanded and a trans Tasman competition initiated. Unlike GGA zealots like yourself, Iā€™m not afraid to acknowledge failure when it happens.

1 Like

Would that be big enough for a senior GAA match?

31k? I donā€™t know, but I am not arguing about capacity.

I am talking about building a modern stadium.

Time to move on from the dinosaurs bud.

Is the pitch big enough to play a senior GAA match?

Is it beyond you to imagine an architect could design a larger footprint?

Seems to be in Jurassic Park.

Why havenā€™t they yet. There is a lot of jibber jabber about multi sports arenas, but so far the only body that has delivered a stadium capable of accommodating the major field sports in Ireland is the GAA

Because the GGA has bigoted rules in place and nobody has called them out on this until the last couple of weeks.

Itā€™s what we were talking about all week while you were going off on one about Phil Waikato.

1 Like