Is Your Job Recession Proof?

[quote=“dancarter”]what area you work in Gman

Congrats. I know a lad looking for IT jobs and he has had 6 interviews in the last fortnight so there seems to be jobs in that area alright[/QUOTE]

Construction Dan. Its an absolute nightmare out there. I didnt think anyone at all was doing any hiring whatsoever, and there really was nothing out there, and I was resigned to that and like I said before, had gone about doing stuff on my own, but luckily this popped up at the best time possible.

Just as a comparison, when I last looked for a job in my profession, there was over 800 jobs in Ireland advertised on the main constrution jobs site. Last week, there was 2, and another 30 or so for abroad.

[quote=“Gman”]Construction Dan. Its an absolute nightmare out there. I didnt think anyone at all was doing any hiring whatsoever, and there really was nothing out there, and I was resigned to that and like I said before, had gone about doing stuff on my own, but luckily this popped up at the best time possible.

Just as a comparison, when I last looked for a job in my profession, there was over 800 jobs in Ireland advertised on the main constrution jobs site. Last week, there was 2, and another 30 or so for abroad.[/QUOTE]

congrats on the job gman

Gman, you say your job is further out?
It’s not…it’s not in…CORK is it??? :eek:

cheers art, and the rest of ye too. wasnt long ago it was commiserations. things change easily in either direction!

oh and fook you bandage, hope Carter sacks you.:smiley:

[quote=“Pikeman”]Gman, you say your job is further out?
It’s not…it’s not in…CORK is it??? :eek:[/QUOTE]

ah here Pikeman, I wouldnt sell my soul for that. Being on the dole or in prison is a fate better than that! :smiley:

[quote=“dancarter”]
Congrats. I know a lad looking for IT jobs and he has had 6 interviews in the last fortnight so there seems to be jobs in that area alright[/QUOTE]

There was a thing on the news a while back about this and they said that there are tonnes of job in IT. Apparently not enough graduates coming through college.

The place to be.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]There was a thing on the news a while back about this and they said that there are tonnes of job in IT. Apparently not enough graduates coming through college.

The place to be.[/QUOTE]

Might do i.t. next then farmer. Soon as I get this thing done.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]There was a thing on the news a while back about this and they said that there are tonnes of job in IT. Apparently not enough graduates coming through college.

The place to be.[/QUOTE]

Ya there is a bit of shortage of graduates coming through at the moment. When I started my course in college there was about 120 in the class, then the IT slump hit and turned people away from picking it in the CAO. The year I left college there was only 25 in the first year class coming in. So now is the time they will start to experience the shortage. The term “IT” is a very broad as well, it can cover anything from a call center to advanced engineering so when they say there’s “loads of jobs in IT” it doesn’t really mean anything. The majority of IT jobs are still Dublin based though, without a good solid 5/6 years experience behind you it’s tough to get a job anywhere else in the country, but I suppose that applies to most areas.

plenty of IT jobs going to people with 3-5 years experience… i graduated last year and still havnt found position as for graduates when i started in ul there was 120 in 4th year of my course and we had 17 then year graduating this year have about 6 … places calling out for java programmers… think im going to either start preparing to do that ccna or microsoft exams undecided which yet though

Fair play Gman

Employers are probably still trying to figure out your cover letter :rolleyes:

Might be no harm to get your microsoft exams but without the practical experience to back them up employers won’t take much notice of it. They will just think you did one of the BrainDumps just to pass the exams.

Well done G’man - every road has a turn.
Enjoy your new surroundings…:thumbsup:

Have two interviews lined up for next week so hopefully I can get my hands on a fairly decent paying entry level position…

thinly veiled “mcdonalds or centra”

please art, I would rather draw the dole that work in either of them…

Make sure to query the levels of internet access in their respective work places before agreeing to anything.

:thumbsup:

Interviewing two hookers eh?

Well done Gman, best of luck with it.

I don’t like this.