Is Your Job Recession Proof?

i am seriously thinking about doing a graduate diploma in computing in UL next year. its designed for those who dont have a qualification in computing.

has anyone any information on how good this course is? would it give me sufficient knowledge in a year for a career in I.T.?

[quote=“WhiskeyInTheJar”]i am seriously thinking about doing a graduate diploma in computing in UL next year. its designed for those who dont have a qualification in computing.

has anyone any information on how good this course is? would it give me sufficient knowledge in a year for a career in I.T.?[/QUOTE]

You wouldn’t be able for it.

and why not?

You’re a mong.

Seriously though, throw up a link to the course.

[quote=“The Runt”]You’re a mong.

Seriously though, throw up a link to the course.[/QUOTE]

this is a link to that course:
http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate%20School/Prospective%20Students/Graduate%20Programmes/Taught%20Programmes/Science%20%26%20Engineering/Computing

doing a postgrad is looking like my only option now.

A phrase I never thought I’d read.

[quote=“WhiskeyInTheJar”]this is a link to that course:
http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate%20School/Prospective%20Students/Graduate%20Programmes/Taught%20Programmes/Science%20%26%20Engineering/Computing

doing a postgrad is looking like my only option now.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know boss, programming is pretty much a skill you either have or you don’t. It’s something you gotta enjoy doing. I don’t know how much of it they can squeeze into 2 semesters so I’d imagine the learning curve will be pretty steep.

Semester 1

Programming Language 1, Computer Organisation, Development of Information Systems 1, Decision Support Applications, Document Architectures.

Semester 2

Programming Language 2, Operating Systems, Development of Information Systems 2, Data Communications, Web Application Development.

[quote=“The Runt”]I don’t know boss, programming is pretty much a skill you either have or you don’t. It’s something you gotta enjoy doing. I don’t know how much of it they can squeeze into 2 semesters so I’d imagine the learning curve will be pretty steep.
[/QUOTE]

ya id say it would be intensive alright but my options are thin on the ground at the minute. cant even get a summer job this year.

Here Runt, would a Wexford lad nicknamed ‘Dipsy’ be familiar to you at all?

I did an IT degree over 4 years and there were tough parts each year.

Them semesters look like the hard parts all together all in one year.
It looks rock hard.

Massive learning curve.

I wanted to give up the course I did after a couple of weeks. I toughed it out and by Christmas I was loving it. The first month of that course you’d want to be on your game right away.

Try looking in to some basic programming tutorials online before you apply. See if you like them If you don’t get it at all this year will be hell.

Yes. I am familar with him and a gaggle of other Wexicans that lived around the corner from me in college.

Bejaysus-them loons are my mates from school.
Wasters.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Bejaysus-them loons are my mates from school.
Wasters.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha they were crazy bunch of lads and girls. There could absolutely anything happening anytime you went into that house.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]I did an IT degree over 4 years and there were tough parts each year.

Them semesters look like the hard parts all together all in one year.
It looks rock hard.

Massive learning curve.

I wanted to give up the course I did after a couple of weeks. I toughed it out and by Christmas I was loving it. The first month of that course you’d want to be on your game right away.

Try looking in to some basic programming tutorials online before you apply. See if you like them If you don’t get it at all this year will be hell.[/QUOTE]

sound for the advice.
this year is already hell. ill have a science degree in august and zero job prospects after four years studying my bollix off.

[quote=“WhiskeyInTheJar”]sound for the advice.
this year is already hell. ill have a science degree in august and zero job prospects after four years studying my bollix off.[/QUOTE]

you will be fine, you have youth on your side mate.

gman - fair dues on getting the new job in the current climate. :clap:

As for witj, try here:

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/A-great-place-to-work.aspx

Though you might not be able for it.

Wasn’t sure about making a new thread so I’m posting here.

Basically at the moment I’m half considering moving to Dubai to teach English for a year. In my current job around 5 months now and getting on grand. Degree in Engineering. My only regret is not going travelling at some stage. Like a J1 etc. From what I’ve seen from my limited research, so far is teaching in Dubai is a good opportunity to save up a few quid. Anyone know anyone that has moved to Dubai in the past for a year for teaching?

Or am I mad to leave the job I have. I’d be waiting until I’m there a year at least before I go to get my year of experience :wink:

:rollseyes:

If you want to make money in the Mid east you’ll work your hole off for a year … lot’s of people go and either use it to travel the broader region or save or maybe do the latter after a year pissing about… Don’t believe the hype - yes there’s money to be made put you will clock up serious hours to do it… that’s not exactly the travel experience you’re after ? Stay in your current role and save your hole off, get a good reference and experience and do the travel part properly, mate - get a round the world ticket and hit all the low budget exotic countries - India/ South East Asia/ South America etc … you’re only a young buck, now’s the time to do it, it will be the best year of your life.

1 Like

Great thread. :clap: