"It could have been me" - Claim a spurious link to high profile tragic incidents or disasters

The Wellington Quay bus crash:
Living in the west of the city, Wellington Quay was where I boarded the bus every weekday evening. I was extremely familiar with it. Little did I know how close I was coming to death every time I waited for a bus there.

It could have been me.

I flew on one of the flights hikacked for 9/11 but 4 weeks beforehand

I used to labour on canary wharf.

@Phil Leotardo - This one is for you

My room mate was killed in collegeā€¦ When I came home one night the lights were out and it sounded like he had his boyfreind over and they were partaking in anal sex so i didnā€™t flick the lights on and instead put on my heads phones when I jumped into bedā€¦ When I woke up the next morning he was dead and written all over the walls in blood was ā€˜arenā€™t you lucky you didnā€™t turn on the lightsā€™ - they made a movie about it so it was a pretty high profile incident.

1 Like

I was at The Smashing Pumpkins gig where the Cork girl died.

It could have been me.

I took the same pills as Leah Betts back in 1995. Our logic was that if they killed her they must be goodā€¦Summer of love.

I was driving in England a few years ago on a dual carriageway and overtook a car. Straight after we rounded a bend there was a cop out waving us down and weā€™d to come to an abrupt stop. I was going fast enough but managed to come to a gradual stop with the hazard lights on, but still it was an awkward cunt of a place to stop and i was worried about what was coming from behind. Fella behind me who iā€™d just passed out managed to stop without incident too. Seconds later a young fella came speeding round the bend and was going too fast to stop suddenly, donā€™t think he had his eyes properly on road anyway until last second. There were crash barriers running between the carriageways and he ended up going half way up one to avoid a crash but the other half of his car ploughed into the car behind me which i had just passed out so was almost me. Both cars were pretty well damaged but at least no-one was hurt.

Edit i think iā€™ve got the gist of this thread wrong.

itā€™s a good story but wholly inappropriate for this topic you are looking for the ā€œNear Missesā€ discussion thread

this is about high profile disasters ffs sake

[QUOTE=ā€œTess Tickle, post: 1124671, member: 2269ā€]I was driving in England a few years ago on a dual carriageway and overtook a car. Straight after we rounded a bend there was a cop out waving us down and weā€™d to come to an abrupt stop. I was going fast enough but managed to come to a gradual stop with the hazard lights on, but still it was an awkward cunt of a place to stop and i was worried about what was coming from behind. Fella behind me who iā€™d just passed out managed to stop without incident too. Seconds later a young fella came speeding round the bend and was going too fast to stop suddenly, donā€™t think he had his eyes properly on road anyway until last second. There were crash barriers running between the carriageways and he ended up going half way up one to avoid a crash but the other half of his car ploughed into the car behind me which i had just passed out so was almost me. Both cars were pretty well damaged but at least no-one was hurt.

Edit i think iā€™ve got the gist of this thread wrong.[/QUOTE]

That was you?? I remember that all over sky news alright.

I was supposed to be in Omagh on the day of the Omagh Bomb. Went up the Antrim Coast instead.

Could have been me.

If I hadnā€™t given up hurling, I could have been in goal for Limerick in the 94 All Ireland Final. That would have been traumatic.

Potentially better than Joe? I fuckin well doubt it bud.

[QUOTE=ā€œmyboyblue, post: 1124667, member: 180ā€]I was at The Smashing Pumpkins gig where the Cork girl died.

It could have been me.[/QUOTE]
So was I. Weā€™re lucky to be here pal

I used to stop bullets.

Flight MH17 - shot down over the Ukraine:

This flight was shot down on July 17th, 2014. Many of the passengers were en route to Australia. Exactly a month earlier, I flew to Australia. I had considered travelling with Malaysian Airlines on this route. I had also considered leaving my trip until after the World Cup final on July 13th.

If I had travelled on this route, and I had flown on July 17th instead of June 17th, it could have been me.

Even still I came close to disaster, as the Manchester-Abu Dhabi route I took travelled via the equally dangerous flight path over Iraq, and a look out the window gave all the indications that I was flying over a war zone.
[ATTACH=full]2672[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]2673[/ATTACH]

I returned via the same flight path on July 24th. Less than a week later major airlines announced they were to stop flying via this route due to concerns over being shot down by an ISIS ground to air missile.

It could have been me.

[QUOTE=ā€œSidney, post: 1124737, member: 183ā€]Flight MH17 - shot down over the Ukraine:

This flight was shot down on July 17th, 2014. Many of the passengers were en route to Australia. Exactly a month earlier, I flew to Australia. I had considered travelling with Malaysian Airlines on this route. I had also considered leaving my trip until after the World Cup final on July 13th.

If I had travelled on this route, and I had flown on July 17th instead of June 17th, it could have been me.

Even still I came close to disaster, as the Manchester-Abu Dhabi route I took travelled via the equally dangerous flight path over Iraq, and a look out the window gave all the indications that I was flying over a war zone.
[ATTACH=full]2672[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]2673[/ATTACH]

I returned via the same flight path on July 24th. Less than a week later major airlines announced they were to stop flying via this route due to concerns over being shot down by an ISIS ground to air missile.

It could have been me.[/QUOTE]

The forum could have lost six or seven good men that night so.

M7 motorway mass pile-up, March 27th, 2007:

Fog caused up to 40 cars to crash into each other on the M7 Dublin-bound lane. One person died. At this time, I was travelling in the opposite direction.

It could have been me.

Iā€™ve a beard, lived in Dooradoyle, it could have been me instead of Shane Geoghanā€¦ I donā€™t think rugby hater would have worked as a prefix the same way the press applied rugby player to Shane tho.

:frowning: I lived in Dooradoyle at the time too. If only we had met online back thenā€¦