Italy - a failed society

The Italian Riviera is worth a trip pal. Spin from there to Milan, Verona and Venice.

4 or 5 days is a lot in Rome.

1 Like

go to the curva sud

4 days is too much in Rome

the amalfi coast & tuscany to see how humans were meant to live

Sorrento.

Spent a couple of weeks a few years back in Milan and Bergamo. Got out before Covid.

It’s nice to look at and all that but I found the locals I encountered to be utter tossers.

1 Like

Three days tops in Rome I’d say

+1. Rent a car would be my advice. Rome is grand but very busy and loud. Florence is a beautiful place and all the cities and towns in Tuscany are very nice to stroll around.

If going south I’d also recommend Sorrento. Hoping to get to Trento next and possibly Bari after that.

1 Like

Don’t listen to this, Naples is great craic. The Amalfi Coast.

1 Like

Florence very touristy but could be nicer this year with less crowds. Was there once in December it was lovely.

Yes rent a car. Very sound advice. Easy to park on the fringes of Florence and get a shuttle bus in. Ditto Siena. Italian driving not near as bad as the movies would have you believe. Only way you’ll get to see sights like the Val D’Orcia.

It’s not though. 4 days in Rome/Lazio isn’t enough even. There is a lot to see. Frascatti outside Rome is worth a day trip for some lunch. Great feeds up there for not a lot of money. Trastevere, Thermal baths outside Rome, Tivoli outside Rome, but you could spend 4 days in the city.
If I were you I would skip the Vatican museum.
I lived in Rome from 99-01 and visited the museum 2 or 3 times backs then, and it was never as crowded as it was the last few times I have been back. A few years back it was wall to wall from the entrance to the exit. Total waste of time and money. Everyone herded in like cattle being shunted down to see the Sistine chapel, and then “get out the door!Next”
You could head out to Eur for a few hours as well and see the fascist type buildings Mussollini got built for the Expo. A square shaped Coloseum for example. There is more of this type of architecture near the olympic stadium as well.
Head out to Lake Bracciano for a day trip as well maybe. Or Castel Gandolfo, all accessible via Termini station, or one of the other stations.
You could go see Piramide, visit all the basilicas, Trastevere as I mentioned, Parioli.
My impression the last time I was there was it was WAY too packed, and very dirty.
Italy is so big though, there’s a lot to see. e.g. Bologna and that area would be very different to Rome. Same with Genoa, though I didn’t like Genoa. It’s a port so you get all the sleaze found in ports.
You could go off piste, and head out to the Tremiti islands in the Adriatic!
Perugia also wortha visit. Florence has the same problems as Rome. WAY too packed, and way too hot in the summer.

6 Likes

Showing off a load of rugs trying to impress you. I was dying if a hangover the same day and couldn’t wait to get to the end of that hallway

Driving in Rome is one of the things in life you need to do once. And then never again.

Driving in Naples is worse. Fairly quickly realise why they all have small and battered cars.

1 Like

Tuscany.

You’d do Florence in a day or two and then you get to do a wine & food tour, visit Pisa Lucca and Siena and maybe even get a day on the beach around Livorno.

Greatest place on Earth.

1 Like

Lago Di Como. Bellissimo.

Desperate bastards

A pilgrimage to San Giovanni Rotondo is great to the soul

2 Likes

Horrible. And I was there last in a January, so “off season”, and it was horrible. Not worth it.
If you were there on a weekend and the group, or couple, etc were inclined, you could do worse than go to a game in the olympic stadium depending on who is playing. My reference point is a long time ago, but with the smaller teams visiting Rome, it was easy enough to get a ticket, but the atmosphere wouldn’t have been like a full house, but still good to experience.
But Tuscany I suppose could have it all in terms of a holiday. You can still get the Italian experience but in a smaller city or town etc.

Yes I stayed in a small mountain top village in Tuscany and did day trips to the touristy places. It was idyllic.

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGyfat0Q2vA