Italy - a failed society

Iā€™ve travelled a fair bit in my life but for some reason never made it to Italy. Got my driverā€™s licence at a ripe aul age of 37 and two months later rented a car for a week in Naples. Baptism of fire to say the least. Based myself there as my favorite coffee bean roaster is there, hence the main reason for visiting. Drove to Rome with a few mates who flew in from assorted countries to join me, uttered a few mumblings of apologies to an ex of yore and took in the sights.
Headed south, drove most of the Amalfi coast until my nerves were so shot that I pulled the pin. Seen Pompei, but a bout of depression at the time after an hour decided it was a load of old hat and I was hungry. We queued twice for restaurants on the michelin guide, both wildly overrated as Iā€™d found most of the food in Italy. I thought the pasta sauces and pizza would be from a different dimension. Perhaps my expectations needed tempered.
What did not disappoint is the consistency in the phenomenal quality of espresso and gelato everywhere.
It would be an absolute nightmare to live in that country if you needed to get anything done but their passion is so attractive. Iā€™m eager to get back.

5 Likes

I had a great time in Rome about 12 years ago - watched the Dublin Kerry startled earwigs game with Paddy Christie in some Irish pub. Thereā€™s a historical monument on every corner. Great food, drink and got to see Carmen opera in open air at Caracalla. A cheap hotel with rooftop pool and bar overlooking colliseum. Magic

Why would you see a a French opera in Italy you slobbery buffoon.

1 Like

I donā€™t make the rules Andre rieu - all I know is it was decent. Must tell bord Gais energy theatre to just host Martin mcdonagh plays

1 Like

I had my life partner drive us around Tuscany on one holiday and around Sicily on another one. Both were really enjoyable. Iā€™d echo FODā€™S car rental recommendation - you have much more scope/freedom to see more when youā€™re not relying on public transport. Hopefully thereā€™s a weak member in the group that can be pressurised into driving.

4 Likes

Just to make you aware that for every week you stay in Italy, youā€™ll come back a stone heavier.

Food is unreal but stay out of the over priced ristorantes and get yourself into the trattorias.

1 Like

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0827/1243170-italian-minister-quits-over-mussolini-park-plan/

Still not as bad as Spain: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/street-names-signal-bitter-dispute-over-spain-s-historical-memory-1.4657040

Bankrupt

I thought they went pop a few years ago

Heading tomorrow morning. Looks like Iā€™m going to be in Rome for the popes funeral. Heading to Florence, Verona, Venice and then Milan before a trek up to livino for a couple of days skiing. I canā€™t bloody wait.

5 Likes

Skip the vatican museum/sistine chapel. It was like a cattle mart in there a few years back. Wall to wall people from beginning to end. Not worth it. I had the good fortune to visit it a few times around 20+ years ago, and the crowds were nowhere near as bad. Tourism is eating itself. La Ruota (Via Angelo Emo, 25/c, 00136 Roma) if you are in the area, youā€™ll get a good feed for reasonable money.

1 Like

Top tip.
Visit the vatican museum 20 years ago.

16 Likes

Also note other tourists can really make it difficult to be a tourist.

Youā€™re some bastard spreading Corona virus all over the place,nice wumming all the same.

Youā€™d want your head examined to go skiing in the middle of a health service crisis.

1 Like

My top tip would be to stay away from it and not waste your day there.

Iā€™m in Rome here already and have the wreath from all at TFK bought so one less thing for you to be doing. Weather is pleasant and the city isnā€™t too busy, nice time of year to visit.

1 Like

Florence is great. I highly recommend going to siena. Beautiful city and you should see if there is any tours/talks on Il Palio youd enjoy that. Its a horse race in siena dating back centries. Its batshit that it still happens

1 Like

TFK at its best

Dont visit the Sistine chapel - FFS

5 Likes