J1 - Summer in the Sun

Is the J1 still a thing? Used to be where folk went and worked on building sites and bars etc but not any more ?

Awful for her family.

Awful tragedy. RIP

It was up to a couple of years ago but Trump spancilled it.

Think Sleepy Joe might have resurrected it.

It is but covid put a stop to it.

Is there still enough money in a menial summer job stateside to be worth the trip?

There is if you don’t blow it all on partying. Even covering your costs is enough tbf.

I made a fortune over there 20 years ago, was long hours if not particularly hard work. Landscaping and caddying

4 Likes

If you played a bit of decent ball you were quids in

I used to see one of the boys who died when I was on my way to work on the bus in the mornings many moons ago…I noticed him as he always had a Boden gearbag with his school bag and used to get off at stop outside st. Mary’s college in rathmines …it was only when I saw his picture after the tragedy many years later that I made the connection…

1 Like

Never went myself but knew lads in the mid 90s who made a ball of money over there during the summer. From what I remember Ireland wasn’t that flush with disposable income so made sense.
Fellas used to go to London as well for the summers.
Just thought with more money around during and after Celtic tiger the incentive to go wasn’t as great as before.

I’d say a fair lot go and don’t work nowadays or else work for a few weeks and then quit their jobs.

1 Like

Making money isn’t really the point

7 Likes

You’re living in a different world.

A 3 month holiday at the parents expense??

2 Likes

What do you think they live on?Do you know how expensive NY Chicago or San Diego are?Most of them only work to cover their bills and with fuck all in the bank account but millions in memories.

1 Like

Very common. Also non working visa much handier these days. Lots just head over for a month or six weeks too.

I doubt you realise the sort of budgets college students can operate on nowadays or the style of living.

I’d say it became a lot easier to get a student loan to sit on for years whereas that idea was alien to us back then …

I never had a j1 as I was never a student but I worked with loads of them in NY.

3 Likes

I’d say things have changed considerably in recent times.

I’d say it’s more common to save September to may and have an easy summer in the states than the other way round.