Job Interviews

You need to wish the man well.

All the best @ChocolateMice

Be Positive

Be clear on why you are the best person

Go CM !!!

Are there any cark people still down there in that place?

Kaiser Noonan is doing a super job with rejecting the motorway

We don’t want cark weirdos living any closer to us…

1 Like

I LOLLED at that…

That’ll be a thing of the past when you’re living in Douglas listening to God Save the Queen before PL games in Johnos as it’s called.

1 Like

That’s a nice post right there!

@ChocolateMice make sure you tell them that you are looking to “cultivate your leadership traits”

1 Like

3 Likes

Ah you’re right, just couldn’t bring myself to agree with PantiAgusBliss.

good luck @ChocolateMice

I did an interview for a lecturing position a few years ago. I realised half way through my presentation that it was way too short. I got a decent score in the end but didnt get the gig. My lecturing experince was minimal at the time.

Do you know anyone on the inside that would be able to give you an idea on why the position has been created and how likely they are to go for external candites?

1 Like

@ChocolateMice I have conducted many interviews in a previous life.

Important things;

Have a copy of your CV in front of you, they’ll probably ask you to go through it, a lot easier if you have it to hand.
Have the job spec in front of you to remind you what they are looking for. Helps keep you on point when answering questions.
Bring a notepad, if the interviewer asks multi layered questions note down each point so you can come back to them.
They’ll also talk to you about the role and what they are looking for, write it down so you can cover it.
Also write down anything you want to ask questions on for the end, add to the list as they are explaining the role etc if there is anything that you can follow up on. This also makes you look like you are an organised individual.
When they ask you have you any questions, ask them stuff, seem interested.

Present yourself well, make sure the suit & tie are in good nick, buy new ones if not.
The old cliché about a good handshake is true, it’s not everything but I was involved in one case where both candidates were neck and neck and my boss called it for one based on his solid handshake.
Be relaxed and personable, engage in small talk during the introduction, you have to work with these people after so they’ll want someone who seems sound enough. I never recommended anyone I felt to be socially awkward, no matter how good the CV. Sometimes you are waiting for someone to join so try to find a common link with the other one when engaging in chit chat.
Look at all interviewers while answering questions, not just one, or the bossman or whoever asked the question, engage everyone, smile when possible. There’s a science behind that. Looking people in the eye makes them trust you more, smiles are infectious, people who smile are more likely to have positive memories of the interview. You also don’t want any of the interviewers to feel like you are ignoring them, they likely all have an equal vote at the end.

Never interrupt anyone.
Give succinct answers, if possible tie it back to a specific skill mentioned in the job spec. Don’t waffle, if you don’t have an answer just say so don’t go off on a tangent. Nothing worse.

2 Likes

Guys, I’ve to prepare a 15-minute paper-based presentation on a prescribed topic as part of an upcoming job interview. I’ve to bring copies on the day for panel members.

Any tips for this? I was thinking 8-10 pages long, bullet point style with a few arrows, charts and colors. Not chunky descriptive passages of writing.

I hate this type of shit.

cc @ChocolateMice - I think you were seeking presentation advice a while back.

Ya, don’t take that job. Sounds like a cunt of a place.

8 Likes

8-10 pages sounds like a lot to me mate, but I’m not an accountant.

1 Like

Ask for a whiteboard and markers and draw it all out in front of them. They’ll be impressed at your creative thinking and no other candidate will adopt this approach.

1 Like

@Bandage don’t do this

4 Likes

You’re probably right but I might as well see it through and see how I get on. I might not even have the decision to make if I do a shit presentation. I appreciate all feedback, especially the genuine / helpful type. So, 6 pages? Should I stand up to present it or stay in my seat?

What’s the prescribed topic pal?

Depending on the company you might try and use a presentation software other than Powerpoint.
Something like Prezi or Sway (if the company is in the Tech sector).

Two minutes per slide is the recommended average I think? So you are looking at 7 approx.

Keep the slides very simple, small number of bullet points, emphasise the key words, slides should not be overly text heavy makes them impossible to follow. Better that the slide, through some insightful bullets provides a framework that you can hang your knowledge on.

And if you have some graphics to hang the discussion on eg certain numbers, might be good to highlight those.

And practise your spiel before the meeting. And think about what questions they might ask as a follow up to your content.

1 Like