Kilkenny GAA thread

Sad indictment of the game that there’s no room for lads like bubbles and Colm Galvin in modern day panels.
Once money started to be pumped into the sport the days of the skilful hurler who had a life outside of IC hurling was numbered

10 Likes

Galvin had injuries? He would still be involved if not.

When Bubbles is fit, he’s fine. Problem is that he has tended to struggle to keep the weight down after injuries. For example, in 2020, he came on and he didn’t look related to an intercounty player, he couldn’t move and could barely control the ball. He was probably carrying an injury. Then had a good year in 2021 when he was fit again.

Constant injuries are what’s killing him tbh.

1 Like

We’re missing a real top quality forward alright. I’d be interested to see how Bowe progresses. Maybe Andy Ormond or Sean Hayes (my father reckons he has it. I’m not so sure) will make some progress.

People forget that by 2012/13, people thought Seamie Callanan was done in Tipp (remember his debut was 2008). By 2016, he was off the back of three HOTY nominations in a row. Now, I’m not comparing Jake Morris with him, but I think there is some raw talent there (again not at the level of a Callanan or Bubbles).

Kehoe is one-sided and somewhat agricultural but good coaching could bring him on

Every episode of that podcast you get a new appreciation for how deep they have their snouts in the trough. Thanking some hotel or pub owners for their hospitality, or the use of a Villa in Spain for a week, or corporate box tickets for some event. Landers is the worst and TJ isn’t far behind him. Hogan doesn’t seem to move in those circles at all.

6 Likes

The move towards professionalism will see the majority of counties can’t compete as well. It’ll go like all pro sports.

Unless he had shown a level of form he hadn’t shown in close 4 or 5 years I think he would have struggled to get game times. Lohan wasn’t a huge fan and he started all championship matches last year and had minimal impact. He only retained his place last year due to a lack of alternatives.

It’s not that hard to eat a few salads.

I know that but I’m presuming the injuries played a part in his form not being good too.

He’s probably a player where you would need to see what role can he best do for the team. Could he have done a deep-lying centre-back role like Conlon did and free Conlon up to play in the forwards? Okay, he’s a lot smaller in stature, potentially could be targeted under a high ball, but reads the game very well and a better stickman than Conlon even, I would say.

Or the withdrawn corner-forward role that Reidy played at times, getting on ball, linking the play?

Lohan tended to favour runners as his two traditional midfielders in Taylor & Malone, supported by Fitzgerald & SOD outside them.

1 Like

You are just teeing it up for big mick to have another pop at Colm galvin

I think he read the way the wind was blowing and decided to save face and opt out rather than being potentially dropped. If he felt he was going to be a first choice player he would still be involved.

You can say that, but Limerick will have a football All Ireland in the next 15 years.

Where did Cody learn the ropes?

Colm galvin would have been more use that paudi fitz

6 Likes

The school of hard knocks.

1 Like

Shefflin had 2 All Irelands, what more rope did he need?

I’m one sense yes, but Galvin isn’t a wing back, in reality Cian Nolan should have started but hindsight is 20/20. As I said if they felt he was of value moving forward he would have been given as much time as needed over the winter/spring the same way SOD was but management felt they were flogging a dead horse.

The manager that won an All Ireland for Galway learned the ropes by winning an All Ireland club but then went to Tipp for that bit of extra grounding. Failure to prepare…

He wasn’t accepted in Galway until he did it in a proper hurling county?

He wouldn’t learn much from a bunch of loopers from Galway in fairness.

We’re an ill disciplined county. We let people do their own thing. @diabhal will probably ask the lad beside him on Sunday what Galway team is he supporting today.

1 Like