Kilkenny GAA thread

He was our parish priest for a few years in the mid 90s, lovely man. Had been in a nursing home in Ballyragget for the last number of years I believe. May he RIP.

1 Like

A gentleman was Tommy, i served many a mass for him back in the day during his time in Callan.
RIP.

2 Likes

There was evening above on the Green, Fr Tommy was training the ‘Lockes junior panel and he brought up the fact that he was a priest and could the lads stop the casual swearing :see_no_evil:

I also remember him having a puck around on the front pitch with Eddie Keher and your auld boy - Piles Sr was pure delighted with himself.

1 Like

He made very clear to us at first confession that he’d be taking the hurlers and anyone interested in that aul sacar would go to Fr Dunne( perceived hard nut) for a much more grueling exercise.

Full of wisdom.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Based in an office across from St Kieran’s college today and looking over the wall there’s an actual game of Gaelic football about to start soon

The decoy is working lads

5 Likes

Would generally be quite competitive at u14(juvenile level) and then gets weaker and weaker up through the grades as the hurlers are filtered out.

Tag rugby going on on one of the pitches now :open_mouth:

Ah for fuck sake, that wasn’t in the script

2 Likes

Another Ian Dowling disaster in the offing.

Must be a charity event.

Re: Gaelic football in SKC, it was played competitively up to u16 but then stopped so that hurling could (and should) be concentrated on. Us soccer upstarts were treated with contempt until we delivered a Leinster senior title.

1 Like

I played in a South Leinster U14 Gaelic Football Final for Kierans. We accounted for Laois, Carlow and Wexford teams along the way. We were annihilated by Naas in the final.

Musta been some shitehole Laois school like Rathdowney.

Same but PortLaoise, St. Marys I think beat us.

I hate this narrative. It simply isn’t true. Shefflin was the best hurler in the country in the first half of the 2000s with a fairly average supporting cast in the forwards.

2006 to 2012 was a different story but Henry carried Kilkenny and was the standout hurler in the pitch for his first three All Irelands.

4 Likes

Recency bias

DJ, Comerford, Carter and Eddie were hardly average? I’ll give you the likes of Hoyne Coogan and Power alright.

Power? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Eddie was seen as a windy enough chap in the early 2000s before becoming the player he was. DJ used to only rock up for the A/I series and while a threat was a level below the previous decade

Comerford was solid if unspectacular especially when compared to the talent which followed in the latter half of the decade.