Kilkenny GAA thread

Top 10 for me. But then I would say that as the auld boy made his hurls, his own father is from Callan and Richie has done some stuff for DSI in the past at my request, he just a good guy.
But as a hurler, he has it all. A leader, brave, skill, awareness. And he’s not tall, at all, think he’s the smallest hurler out there but he had some leap on him in his day. Cursed with injuries too.

7 Likes

Awareness and Hurling intelligence were his key attributes I think. There was no one like him for turning a game by finding a pocket of space and lashing over 4 or 5 points before the opponents figured out what had happened.

5 Likes

How is his career over? Be back at start of June.

Ah at 34 it’s hard to see him being brought back.

Is he still commuting from Dublin?
Hard to see him continuing.

His goal against Tipp in 2011 is one of the most underrated goals ever. Most people casually mention it as a good goal and think nothing of it, but the whole move from Tommy Walsh on the end line and the pass into Brennan who took it at pace, but Hogans finish was brilliant, one touch on the hurl and placed it right into the top corner. I think the precision about the whole move, it being a typical Kilkenny type goal at the time, brilliantly ruthless, makes it somewhat taken for granted. But it was a fantastic instinctive classy finish and one of the best goals at a crucial time of an AI final that all but set them up for victory.

5 Likes

Correct - it’s one of the best, if not the the best goal I’ve ever seen scored in an AI final anyway.

2 Likes

Let’s just all agree it was the greatest ever goal scored in an AI and move on.

2 Likes

Above Denis Joseph now unless he’s a right boogie man

Cousins the pair of them

Dear Lord.

In fairness we’re all related. We just don’t marry our sisters/brothers.

@thetipperarys

Explaining….

Hurling version of this.

3 Likes

It was the goal version of the equalising point v Wexford in the drawn 93 Leinster final

1 Like

Methinks the lady doth protest too much

I’ll put it this way.

I went out with his mother. If we’d got married then Richie would never have been born.

That’s a horrible, horrible thought….

5 Likes

Hogan had brilliant wrists and was a real stickman. One of the best Kilkenny hurlers I’ve seen, maybe just behind Shefflin. JJ and Tommy Walsh.

JJ
Tommy
DJ
The King
TJ
Richie
Cummins
Eddie
Richie P

His goal against Galway a couple of years ago where he snooped in front of the keeper, spun around and tapped it into the net was Hogan down to a tee. Very few if any would have thought of it let alone be able to execute it.

JJ
TJ
DJ
PJ