Kilkenny GAA thread

Has to be the one and only Paddy Deegan

Stating the obvious, but not the worst result for the county team.

They’re so good the sport but so bad at the stuff that doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Absolutely correct. The Ballyhale lads need a break

https://twitter.com/buff_egan/status/1718697940858945593?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

THEY KNEW HE’D COME

8 Likes

:joy::joy:

All to charity as well which I’d rekon is rare enough in the era of the ex GAA player memoir!

4 Likes

Think the Dooley’s did it a few weeks ago in Offaly with their book

3 Likes

There will always be notable exceptions as regards success but gripping with the dominant hand on top is a proven asset.

GRIP CHANGED XV

Ken Hogan (Tipperary)

Wayne Sherlock (Cork)
Ken McGrath (Waterford)
Philly Larkin (Kilkenny)

Joe Hennessy (Kilkenny)
Tony Wall (Tipperary)
Tom Cashman (Cork)

Ger Fennelly (Kilkenny)
Jack Lynch (Cork)

Michael Duignan (Offaly)
Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)
Eddie Keher (Kilkenny)

Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
Michael ‘Babs’ Keating (Tipperary)
Adrian Ronan (Kilkenny)

1 Like

Yes. PR is righthanded, rhot and favoured his backhand.

1 Like

Cheers.

The whole subject is far more complex than I thought 20 plus years ago, when I first wrote about it.

BS has always seemed to me a backhand-orientated rhot hurler. I would imagine he is righthanded.

I don’t understand. As in, for example, they write with their left hand, but grip a hurl as a right hander?

Those 15 hurlers are righthanded, went hurling lhot as a youngster but were converted to rhot and orthodox hurling by a family member or a coach or a mentor.

3 Likes

I’m left handed, left hand on top. But hurl off my right side. I don’t think anyone ever thought to tell me to use my strong side.

I was nearly 12 before someone told me at a summer camp that I should throw the ball up under the hurley if I was hurling left handed on my right side.

Before that I was trying to throw it like it was my good side, switch hands to get the left hand back on top and I was stone useless. The difference was immediate.

I became a barely passable club hurler afterwards but my striking was always a weak point. I reckon had someone turned me onto my “good side” earlier I could have been a much better striker of the ball.

It was too late at that stage, I stayed hurling wrong side as the right side felt unnatural.

My left, or what could have been my good side, remained for emergency use only.

Another reason it’s very important to have good coaches at young ages. Late and all as the correction came I’d say I would have packed it in by 14 otherwise, because I was awful and it made it very hard to enjoy the game.

6 Likes

Malarkey , the swing expert

I am right handed , write with my right hand, right hand on top of my hurley and puck off my left side

How fucked up is that?

I had a coach under age who did his best to get me striking off my right side but he failed in his efforts

I’m right handed (RHOT) won the long puck community games in 1986 took frees right handed but my favoured side was my left in general play, they’re is no way to pigeon hole anyone in this.

1 Like

Nothing wrong there.

You are 1a.

Jamesie O’Connor hurled the same way.

@bandage once scored all his side’s scores in a county final.