Kilkenny GAA thread

But that’s not messed up at all. As long as your technique is correct there’s no big deal. It’s a ‘problem’ if you neglected your right sided swing. To be pure off either side is very rare* and to favour one side be it your left or right is completely acceptable.

*I would define this as a free taker who would have the ability to strike it left or right from up to 60m out with accuracy depending on the angle the player was working with.

1 Like

Jamesie was a lot better at it though!

1 Like

That wouldn’t be unusual and possibly an adaptation to gameplay rather than a quirk within left/right side dominance.
Back Hand striking is a more defensive use of possession than say forehand striking where the body is left open and possession hand exposed.
Jamsie O Connor is an excellent example @Malarkey and possibly not being the biggest of chaps developed a style of leading with the hurley to shield/evade/avoid contact and protect possession hand. This leads invariably to an instinctive step to the left where space opens up for striking. But his Orthadox grip allowed this adaptation.

Might be stretching the topic but there are consequences and opportunities that grip affords a player in how they can adapt to different situations beyond the isolated action of striking itself. Evident in both attacking and defensive situations. There would even be correlations to how the boxing world would view a South Paw fighter and how a LHOT versus a RHOT could seek advantages over the other. Most classic and unfortunately abysmal version of it below -

The Biggest advantage of being LHOT is usually aerially in the 12/15 side of the field when marking a RHOT 2/5.

The forward player is able to start his run near the sideline and play the defenders Hurley which is often in the air and open. When the forward succeeds he is then moving straight towards the goal often after simultaneously breaking the line.

Eoin Larkin, Lar Corbett probably two of the finest examples of this in recent times.

Gas to see a manager literally on the edge of the small square.

Yerra. The two lads weren’t renowned for claning lads in the air.

Larkin, certainly capitalised on it in the air. A deceptively tall man with impeccable timing.

2 Likes

The final reaction was quite theatrical as well.

I thought it was all the points no? He probably constructed the goals with swashbuckling crossfield passes.

I understood that no goals were scored. If there were, he’s been economical with the spirit of the truth.

Nah they scored 4-3 if my reading of a Wexford U12 Division 3 (?) final from 30 years ago is correct.

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

https://x.com/gaaleinster/status/1723352857498247353?s=20

Thomastown will walk this

1 Like

Intermediate champions in Munster are poor barring Castlelyons in Cork but I expect Thomastown to win every game in this by 10+

They were 11/10 to win it outright before this Weekend’s round of games…odds on now probably…they’re subs would win it.

13th team in Kilkenny v 25th in Cork. Unfair contest but Senior A in Cork should be renamed Intermediate.

The 2 × KK teams will walk the junior and inter All Irelands.

They generally do. The Wexford side put up a fair score today though

Cork has 5x the population of Kilkenny

1 Like