Kilkenny GAA thread

Not a clue…it’s a big area of ground between Graigueamanagh,Gowran and Goresbridge…they should be hurling with Graig the set up as it is doesn’t do either side any good but the Squeogh lads resilience and togetherness is admirable.

Eddy was cute enough to say at the start of the season that the Shamrocks wouldnt win the championship.How he came up with that rationale is anybodys guess but he was proved right.I was listening to him and Robbie every week throughout last season and yeah there were a few off the charts statements alright.Fairplay to each of them-Its substantially harder to give an opinion out in the open as opposed to what platforms like this offer and this should be recognised.

2 Likes

A placename with “Skeogh/Sceach” in it usually represents the presence of whitethorn. In my neck of the woods it would usually refer to a fairly shite piece of land too, but I doubt that would be the case in mid Kilkenny.

The townland I come from is called Skeaghacloran or Skeaugh for short. Loads of Whitethorns in the ditches.

1 Like

Having not seen it translated into Irish, I’m guessing it’s Sceach/Scioch an Mhaistín or Fhaistín.

Sceach an Mhaistín would suggest a small, misty thicket of whitethorns/hawthorns.

2 Likes

Scally is the manager of the racecourse in gowran. Tbf his knowledge of club hurling is decent for a non-Native.
But he also comes out with off the wall stuff. Like saying wexford had half their championship team out in Walsh cup.

Do we have a full time social media person in Kilkenny GAA? We seem to be miles between any county in terms of content. It’s brutal. Other counties will have interviews, reviews etc, especially during club championship.

Yeah but you have loads of hurlers.

Wexford can tweet the fuck out of it but we can’t put the ball over the bar enough.

1 Like

I noticed that myself.
I think we need to up our game on several fronts going forward or else we could end up like Cork.
Glanbia for example.Is there anyone else looking to sponsor us? No competition means they call the shots.
No Floodlights in the park.
Dunmore by all accounts is a bleak spot and so on.

Kilkenny GAA needs to get professional and get with the times and do it quick.Or else get used to looking at JP in the Hogan every July.
Its a money game now lads and we may adapt and get used to it.

You do know the age demographic of the people who run KK GAA right ?

1 Like

How many county grounds don’t have floodlights?

Come and tell me that scutter to my face.

Loads.

Walsh Park, Ennis, Killarney, Pearse Stadium, Hyde Park, Mullingar, Newbridge and Tullamore to name but a few.

1 Like

Of our stature or in general?

Saturday night lights in Nowlan park would be iconic.

Dunmore is up there with the bleakest of county training grounds and that’s a high standard.

2 Likes

It would be brilliant

1 Like

I agree. But look at the surrounding houses - would there be objections? I’d say most of the houses behind the old stand would be elderly, might not get the planning over the line. I don’t know how they did it in Pairc Uí Rínn - huge floodlights in a residential area. Think they might have come out of Filbert St, anyone confirm that?

I have a memory of them getting turned down before, maybe someone can enlighten us.

I dont think floodlights are the be all and end all for a County Ground like Nowlan Park.

How many times would they be used per year being realistic? Not like Kilkenny get any National Football League games or too many Provincial Club Championship games.

They might get 1 National Hurling game per year and that might well be it.

I must do an audit on Thurles this year but as the Second National Stadium, I’d still be surprised if the lights were actually turned on any more than 10 or 12 times over the year and half the times they get turned on, they aren’t really needed at all.

3 Likes

Shur Kilkenny have no football to worry about, they’ve loads of time to play their games. No need for night games.

1 Like