Kilkenny GAA thread

I just see the lads who are over them and know the passion and skill they had for the game when they played, all great lads. Please God the young lads come through :pray:

One title in 1957. Never decent at senior level, a decent Intermediate Team in the 90s and early 00’s where we yo-yo’d between the two levels.

1 Like

How come they’ve been so poor the last few years. Only hanging on in intermediate for good few years. Think only got 4 or 5 points against graiguenamanagh in championship last year.

Getting to the quarter final of the Senior Championship in 1995 is the highest we ve climbed in the nearly 70 years since winning the title .

Even becoming a Comer-esque “solid” senior club would be glorious.

Would we have been relegated the next year? Won intermediate again in ‘99

Yes even though we were better in '96.
It was a sliding doors year, beat Dunnamaggin, Mooncoin and Tullaroan in the League.
Had to lose by less than 11 against Gowran in last league game to qualify directly for championship quarter finals.
DJ was injured…and we totally malfunctioned, lost by 12.

1 Like

U20 semi final v offaly next Wednesday fixed for tullamore. Offaly demolished laois Wednesday night. This offally team has a big following so a big challenge awaits for this kilkenny team.

Not sure why the carlow game is on gaa go tomorrow. I would much rather see dublin antrim, especially after antrim beating wexford.

Big derby Carlow v Kilkenny. Huge interest.

Laois were awful. Offaly have a nice team and will take beating. They’re mostly underage next year and are not the biggest

I’d agree. It’s going to be a serious litmus test for Offaly but home advantage is a serious boost. I would have expected KK to get home venue given they topped their group but alas.

KK are huge and have some excellent players in Neary, Dunne, Doyle just to name a few.

Mad that KK have named two of their 20s on the subs vs Carlow. Surely could have left them off this weekend.

2 potential reasons Offaly have home advantage, last time they played at u20 it was in Nowlan Park, also pitch might not be ready after Bruce Springsteen concert on Sunday.

Probably needed the pitch for a round of U14 league games.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyclg/status/1788895050216124451?s=46&t=p07OIoicsFZzAmuJzZHHNQ

Playing Thomastown lads in the Walsh Cup 6 days after an All Ireland and playing Mullen when carrying a slight knock against Antrim. Not always logical thinking in there.

1 Like

Paddy Deegan is out for four to six weeks, the word goes, with an infected finger (after a belt he got there against Antrim). So it will be highly interesting to see who goes centre back against Carlow.

Eoin Cody, I hear, should be back in a couple of weeks.

No word on Michael Carey and/or Adrian Mullen.

1 Like

Heard Cody will be back soon alright. Could be the AI series before Mullen is back, leinster final at earliest I was told. Massive loss.

Would agree with @Loko_Cove above with the pigheaded nature of some of Lyngs management of players. Killian Doyle particularly poorly handled last year.

1 Like

I think they have home and away agreement.
Dan ravenhill is out for the campaign with a hamstring, his physicality is a big loss for offaly.

Thanks. All is silent on AM for the moment.

Starting KD against Tipperary in the league last year was a mistake, alright. Not the plausible percentage bet.

Then again, Emeralds’ Pádraig Phelan was a Senior panelist for a spell when DL was selector. And PP, by common consent, was nowhere near that standard.

Is deegan not named at 6 tomorrow?

He is, which is odd.