Kilkenny GAA thread

It’s easy be good when you have everything tilted in your favour.

It got to a point where Kilkenny were just waiting for them to make a mistake and turnover possession. Dublin simply weren’t able to execute that game plan. Their touch was poor and decision making even worse. When they gave it away Kilkenny always had and easy out ball to work handy scores. What happened for TJ’s goal? From where I was sitting it looked like the Dublin keeper pucked it to a defender, who wasn’t even looking at him

1 Like

That’s exactly what happened.

1 Like

It isn’t the same for every team in Munster and it’s also much easier for Kilkenny stay the trip because they are always going to have a bigger squad than Offaly, Wexford and the likes.

On a one off game those counties stand a chance.

Look at the rhetoric around the Offaly under 20s. Everyone wondering will they be physically strong to play senior hurling. I mean it’s meant to be a game of skill.

A dispenser of joy like screeney mightn’t cut it at
Senior level because he isn’t physical enough. That’s a massive pity for hurling.

I’d be annoyed if our U12s keeper did that

He was half turned towards the hill but it Looks like he was shouting at somebody out the field.

1 Like

Dassit.

https://twitter.com/thesundaygame/status/1799506087860666382?s=46

1 Like

In fairness to @BruidheanChaorthainn , KK are actually adept in the area of touch and striking; Dublin much less so. Dublin basically have to run Kilkenny over, very hard to play that physical kind of game with this schedule.

Yes Dublin can’t really win games in second gear. They’ve to be fairly at in all their games to get a win.

1 Like

It’s always been that way. Physicality has always been a huge factor in GAA and any contact sport.

Since I’ve been going to all Ireland’s you watch the minor match and you see some lovely hurling, great stick work, fantastic skills. You see the seniors come out then it’s a completely different kettle of fish. They’re men. Thoroughbreds going to war for 70 odd minutes, putting their body on the line.

2 Likes

Most entertaining part of this evening was the Artane Boys bands rendition of Kate Perry’s Firework at half time.

Galway getting knocked out in this format is some going

1 Like

Mayo we’re losing games and ending up In qualifiers but now we’re asking the sides who are winning to do something similar.

It’s crazy.

Yes there is a physical aspect to it off course but it’s a bit sad that a lot of the chat around one of most exciting young players in the country is about whether he’ll be physical enough to make it at senior. I don’t recall that happening too often. He isn’t a midget either like.

S and C becomes a lot more relevant in this format given the scheduling. S and C also costs a lot of money so again it’s the weaker counties losing out.

Dublin didn’t exactly have to go to the well against Galway either, and then a handy two week break.

I do think you have a decent point about the stronger counties having greater strength in depth to manage more games but if we go back to a straight knockout then we’re back to a point where the so called weaker teams are not getting enough games to develop and progress to a higher standard.

1 Like

I think a lot of people know I’m right but won’t admit it.

Make the league a league and scrap the semi finals / final.

It’s utterly pointless now. It’s basically just a series of challenge games.

Scrap the Joe mcdonagh v 3rd place teams. That’s three weekends freed up to allow better spacing of games.

This is it…a 9month season to give the weaker teams time to prep? And KK can still show up on song and send them into oblivion on a certain day. It’s hard. You’ve just got to be good. Was sickened for Laois today. I think they’,be a chance with Wexford though.

1 Like

Leinster could be split in 2 groups of 3.

You play everyone twice giving you four group games.

Top team In either group advances to Leinster final. Two second place teams play on the under card to get the 3rd spot for the all Ireland series.

You’d have one less round robin game.

Would be a help. Bottom teams could face off too for the relegation.

3 Likes