Kilkenny GAA thread

Jaysus what did Henry Shefflin do to you @Locke? You’ll be making a case to pick Ger Aylward ahead of him next.

4 Likes

I’m bad but I’m not that bad!! Shefflin was a great player no doubt, but I’d have JJ, Tommy, Dj, TJ, Hogan ahead of him.

I agree with Locke. Henry was brilliant but in a functional sort of way. He was the Cliff Thorburn of Kilkenny hurling.

3 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better.

Tj reid is a very joyless hurler I find.

Jesus, you do realise he’s still hurling at a time in his career that 95% of hurlers are retired. Did you see much of him in the years prior?

I reckon @BruidheanChaorthainn is a bit of a goldfish chief. TJ will go down as one/wan of the greats of hurling.

1 Like

I mean the style he plays. It’s so methodical. I found it boring.

By god as Buff would say.

I like a maverick.

Even the way he finishes goals. It’s so programmed. I like an entertainer.

I agree with you. Henry was a player that got the absolute max out of himself which is a compliment because he didn’t have exceptional speed, that bit of magic dj had or ability to cut a line ball over the bar from 60 yards a lá Joe canning.
Come to think of it, I barely ever remember Henry taking a sideline.

1 Like

Scoring sidelines wasn’t really the norm 15 years ago like it is now.

Yeah you’re right. That was a bit harsh on Henry tbf.

There was a weird period maybe ten years ago when everyone was going for side line cuts.

Its still a great skill.

I was at a Junior match a few weeks back which was fairly one sided and despite a decent crowd in attendance, was as dead an atmosphere as you’d find, but next thing a fella on the team being hammered scored a sideline and the stand nearly erupted.

Its things like that, that people come to see.

Not this 5 yard stroke along the ground that my 22 month old nephew can already master.

It defo got a bit easy there for a period. Everyone was throwing them over. Seems to have died down again.

Nobody is trying it anymore because the stats nerds on laptops will tell you that you’ve about a 5% chance of scoring.

Same reason nobody shoots outside the box anynore in soccer.

I liked Damien Quigley’s flying pull in 1994. A beauty of a goal. I had some view of it live too from the top corner of Hill 16.

Pa Cronin in the 2013 drawn final was a good one.

In football Gooch’s one in 2011 was class.

Lee Keegan in 2016 and 2017.

Colm O’Neill in 2009 was decent too.

Johnny Glynn got a great one in 2012 when the game was long gone.

Setanta’s goal in the 03 final shook Croker. I vaguely remember Mayo getting a cracking early goal in one of those early 00 finals (2004?) that nearly took the roof off the place before Kerry bet the shite out of them. David Burke’s second goal in the 2012 replay was the loudest roar I ever heard at a game.