Kilkenny GAA thread

It’s not long since kk lads were bleating that the only reason they lost in 2010 was HS had to go off. Cripes but ye have short memories.
HS is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

5 Likes

He was granite.

You just knew when he stepped up to the pelanty in 2009, he wasn’t going to miss.

2 Likes

He absolutely was and left nothing on the table. Ice cold free taker who would just find a way to hurt the opposition. Utterly clinical

2 Likes

The two Cork goals by Joe Kavanagh and John O’Driscoll in the 1993 football final were both sublime. Again I had a fantastic view of the Kavanagh goal sitting low in the Cusack about level with the 14 yard line at that end. A proper net shaker.

Kavanagh got another great one in 1999.

PJ Molloy’s goal in the 1985 hurling final was a good one. I liked Fergal Healy’s goal in along the end line in the 2001 final.

Shane Kingston (or was it Barrett?) in 2021 early after Hegarty had goaled.

Kieran Purcell of Kilkenny got a goal in the 1971 final at the Canal End that I liked but I can’t find it online.

Ger Manley of Cork got a lovely kicked goal in 1992. You used to get a good few kicked goals in those days and they were usually horrible yokes but this was as fine a demonstration of the art as you’d get, up there with Owen O’Neill of Limerick against Tipp in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Not many kicked goals these days.

Jesus Wept, Profoundly!

3 Likes

Big day for the parish today - Feile 2024!

Game one:
John Lockes GAA Club 2-08
Faythe Harriers 0-04

:ukraine::ukraine::ukraine:

Game two:
John Lockes GAA Club 0-04
Ahane 0-06

:rage::rage::rage:

3 Likes

Ahane game was a cracker apparently - nephew was in the goal and made a great save to keep the clean sheet (according to his father)

edit: they’re crusing in their third game at ht

1 Like

Despite the loss the Lockes top the group and will face Oranmore in tha quarterfinals

Point a pieca at ht

Lost in the QF

John Lockes GAA Club 1-05
Oranmore 1-07

The ref rode us by all accounts.

So it’s clare again in 2 weeks. I know we’ve beaten them the last 2 years, but that doesn’t we’ll repeat that.
I just sense a bit of overconfidence or complacency with kilkenny supporters. Make no mistake this is a good clare team, yes they have weaknesses and flaws, but any team who have put it up consistently to limerick has to be taken seriously.

1 Like

Clare by 4

One of the most disappointing things about yesterday was the reliance on old stalwarts from the bench. Not getting one player through from the u20 All Ireland winners. Living out of the county, I don’t see much of these lads. Is Lying too conservative or are they not good enough?

3 Likes

Billy Drennan looked like the next superstar key man for the coming years but injuries and form have hampered him badly, that KK 20s side were very agricultural and workmanlike but you could see that few would make the step up.

Disappointing having to go to wally and fogarty. Could have brought in Owen wall with his speed and Shane Murphy when Tommy Walsh was struggling in the 2nd half.

Drennan seems to lack speed and workrate which is essential at ic level. Don’t think Clifford has the hurling. Others like Moylan and Rowe of the boro seem to have gone off the panel.
Hard to figure seeing as our club championships are so strong. Nearly did the clean sweep of club all irelands back in January.

Big tallies from fees. Which is important but reputation primarily based on that.

1 Like

I think it is a nice time to be taking on the Galway job looking at the make up and age profile of Kilkenny. A rebuild is coming.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

KK beat a Limerick team without Cathal O Neill in that final, they beat Galway without Tiernan Kileen and another player whose name I missed in the Leinster final AET.

Drennan is the most overrated player in hurling.

Harry Shine has it. They need to integrate some of the current u20 team is an excellent side that threw away the Leinster semi final v Offaly. Jeff Neary is a player they really need to develop, a corner back that is actually comfortable on the ball, especially off short puckouts.

3 Likes

Just getting to watch the second half of the match from yesterday. Tj Reid didn’t look one bit comfortable when he was bending down taking frees. His technique then looked offset.

1 Like