Kilkenny GAA thread

Called off.

How come?

By yesterday afternoon all today’s games in Kilkenny were pulled due to the forecast.

Don’t know how bad it ended up being but I suppose it was done early at least.

Sorry, which one were you again?

Very sad news in GAA circles in Kilkenny and Waterford. Brian Mackey who featured on the Dunnamaggin side of the 1990’s passed away yesterday. Long time Waterford resident and heavily involved in underage coaching in Ballygunner and former Chairman of the Juvenile club in Ballygunner.

1 Like

Great guy in school. A few years ahead of me but knew his brother very well. Brian was so sound, smart too.

2 Likes

Yeah, a top man. He was an Engineer with a very successful Engineering practice in Waterford.

1 Like

He was MD in there, so clearly a smart cookie.

Lot of big games this weekend. Although technically the senior 1/4s are the main games of the weekend, the senior relegation final is a huge match. Especially with the village in danger of relegation for the 1st time in their history.
Thought they were impressive enough against ballyhale for periods, especially when Ed McDermott was on the field. I think whether he plays or not could be the winning of the game.
Glenmore did some good hurling against erins own and they have the forwards to put up a good score. As long as they don’t have another meltdown around their own goal, they might put village back to intermidiate hurling which would be mad considering they are probably the biggest club in kilkenny.

I think the Village would have been in a bigger hole if they were facing Comer rather than Glenmore. Comer in a relegation final dogfight against a relatively young Village team would have favoured Comer. Hard to know if Glenmore would benefit in making it less of a hurling match and more of a dogfight. The weather may decide it for them.

This young Village team down in Intermediate could end up in a similar position to Thomastown. More than good enough to be Senior but experiencing a massive struggle to get up out of Intermediate.

When was the last time JS were in intermediate?

Maybe back when they were formed but never in my lifetime.

1 Like

The Village are in the junior semi final now too so have a chance of having 2 intermediate teams next year

1 Like

The City needs another club. O’Loughlins had Senior & Intermediate teams a few years back.
Then again, so did Glenmore for a spell in the 90’s.

Bring back St. Finbars

Ye Fair City

Heard they’ve been senior since 1955. Intermidiate only came in in the 70s so they have never played intermediate hurling.
Although a lot of nonsense talk on crkc radio this evening that it’s the biggest game in their history.
Bigger than an all Ireland club final?

1 Like

Cody will see them right for this. Expect them to stay up keeping Glenmore at arms length.

Never realised how despised they were up to this week. Every KK man I’ve spoken to wants them to lose.

Cannot happen. If James Stephens lose relegation final and win Junior, their Junior team does not get promoted.

1 Like

Where you find, nigh overnight, the 200 volunteers required to run a new city club in Kilkenny? And where would that putative club find a ground?

And at what level, initially, would their first adult team hurl? Junior A? Junior B?