Kilkenny GAA thread

He was. Left it and his son played with the Cats

2 Likes

The Bomber Carroll et al. went over the mountains to Tipp as well.

Jack Fagan?

More similar to the Mackessy situation.

4 Likes

Just watched a video of him being subbed off against Limerick in 1981. A fair bit of heckling. He must have been vilified in Limerick for such a switch. What prompted it?
I briefly mixed him up with Frankie Carroll who I’m aware of from seeing old footage of the 1996 championship on a regular enough basis as a child.

Declan Darcy left Leitrim for Dublin too?

He was working in Clonmel and travel wasn’t as easy as it is nowadays. Was a selector with Limerick under Eamonn Cregan and has lived in Cork for many years now. I think he had a young fella on a Cork minor panel some years ago.

Frankie is his younger brother.

1 Like

Maurice o Brien played for Dublin didn’t he ?

1 Like

He was also Limerick manager for a couple of days.

He was indeed, during one of Cregan’s tantrums. I’d forgotten that actually.

It’s the kind of thing If the results go wrong he’ll be singled out and it’ll likely be used as a stick to beat the manager.

Declan was born and bred in Sandymount so it was not that big a jump. His pace was gone by the time he got to Dublin

It was a pretty odd thing for Carroll to do all the same. Clonmel isn’t exactly the far side of the country from Limerick. Didn’t Ned Rea travel up and down from Dublin.
Plus it was odd that Tipp subbed him off on the day. It made Sunday Game analyst Liz Howard sob at the injustice of it.

Had they female analysts then? She must’ve been a cracker.

I think she was their first hurling analyst. She knew all about the sport because her Dad Garrett was a fine hurler.

1 Like

He did, his uncle and cousin who he was working for were big involved in Faughs.

Isn’t Limerick hero Joe McKenna from Offaly? I’ve no idea if he ever played for Offaly

It was a strange one alright. Maybe there was some fall out against Mossy after losing the 80 final. Must ask Paddy Kelly the next time I am home.

1 Like

Five All Ireland medals, three with Limerick and two with Dublin. He played with Tipp for a year as well.

1 Like

The Carroll’s mother was a dyed in the wool Tipp woman, that was the main reason for the switch after he felt hard done by in the 80 final.

And wasn’t Galway’s Niall McInerney (RIP) a Clareman?

Anthony Charles Reddington aka Tony Reddan was a Galwayman

1 Like