Kilkenny GAA thread

From the Bridge. There was a fair bit of swapping back and forth between them back in the day, Gus Lohan would have gone the opposite direction

Open to correction on this but I think he ended up as the most successful of that U21 bunch at senior as he won both a Leinster and a League title with Dublin.

Wasn’t Nick ODONNELL wexford from Kilkenny originally

Graiguenemanagh. Apparently he was a sub on the kilkenny team that won the 1947 all ireland and should of got a medal but they gave it to someone else instead. He told them to stick it up their bollox and went on to win a few all irelands with Wexford

Newmarket I think. Went up for college and stayed for good

And Locky Byrne was a Waterford man playing for Kilkenny.

Was there a Tom Ryan who won all irelands with wexford a kilkenny man? Relation of the Clara Ryan’s and Liam Ryan too.

‘Trick Ryan’ he was known as. I believe he was dangerous

Stoney Burke

1 Like

Yes, he was. From Graiguenamanagh Parish.

Yes, a Clara Parish native.

No, LB was a Slieverue Parish native and a Kilkenny man.

1 Like

That story is untrue. NO’D was not fit for 1947 AIF. And he had not been on the Kilkenny panel during the Leinster Championship. His unfitness was the reason (Fr) Ned Kavanagh was called into panel on the Tuesday before that AIF, after corner back Bill Walsh had been ruled out because of a poisoned finger.

Plus, NO’D did not go to Wexford until 1951. That story about the medal not being given was a later invention durung the mid 1950s as a rationale for why NO’D moved to Wexford.

I wouldn’t argue. I heard my version from a drunk aul lad in Mick Doyle’s in Graiguenemanagh

1 Like

He’s the grand father of Wexford hurler Liam Ryan.

Deegan has been there a long time now and has not done much at Intercounty level

Some of his high level club form is absolutely heroic though, like outstanding putting up huge scores from the backs.

Bit harsh. He’s got the most out of his ability and has been a good servant.

6 Likes

Carey midfield is surely the job, he’s a machine of an athlete

Any sign of Conor Browne coming home?