KilliamM2 Youtube Channel

Yeah, Cascarino with the equaliser after Gordan Cowan’s, I think, had given them the lead.

1 Like

Our headmaster turned off the TV after England went 1-0 and told us that was how the match was going to finish. He fucking hated soccerball

2 Likes

Three of us were suspended for mitching school the PM of a Wed qualifier. Simple days.

1 Like

In our half day Wednesday school they’d sell you the schoolboy tickets (£2 each) but you had to leave school early to get to the game on time and the principal would be waiting in the car park to catch people sneaking out a half hour early. Entrapment.

1 Like

Platt scored for England. Tapped in at the back post after Lineker had hit a low cross off a counter attack.

Cowans started instead of Gazza because Graham Taylor felt the crowd would get to Gazza.

I don’t recall Gazza playing in the 1-1 draw at Wembley either. Bryan Robson did play in that. It must have been his last or very near last game for England.

I didn’t get off for the Eire v Ireland game in October '89 and was in school all the way through it, it was a 1pm kick off.

But our teacher brought the radio in for us to listen to some of the Malta game in November which officially clinched qualification. However I’m sure I was back home for the last 20 minutes of it or so and may even have watched Aldridge’s penalty to make it 2-0.

I got a note to get off school at lunchtime for the home games against England and Poland in November '90 and May '91. Those who didn’t were in the minority.

2 Likes

And 70’s and 80’s

My recollection is that England dominated that game, particularly the second half, and it was only the luck of God we held on.

Ronnie Whelan hit the bar after about an hour with a volley, which sort of clouds how under the cosh we were.

I don’t recall us having another chance apart from that and the goal.

That was my recollection of it too before today. On second viewing, Ireland more than held their own, particularly in the first half. England improved significantly with the introduction of Glen Hoddle for Neill Webb shortly after half-time, but Ireland continued to break up their attacks well and had a few decent spells of possession themselves.

Apart from the Whelan shot, there were a couple of other half-chances, Aldridge snuck in late to get on the end of a cross from the left, it flew over but caught the English defence by surprise. Bonner’s best save of the game came right at the death from a Hoddle free kick, he saved a Lineker shot with his knee a while before that, but truth be told, those were the best opportunities England created.

1 Like

I attended the 5 nil win v a Sepp Piontek managed Turkey in sept 1990 . It was a qualifier . I also remember Attending a nil nil draw in that campaign v Poland .

1 Like

Was that not an away game that had a late afternoon kick off?

1 Like

I thought we beat Poland at home and drew 3-3 with them in Poznan in that campaign? That was where Hamilton coined the infamous ‘danger here’ phrase. Unless I’m mixing campaigns up.

No : nil all at Lansdowne it was fucking dire

Bonner totally lost confidence as a keeper at this time . The back pass was felt to be a factor . I think Brady dropped him at Celltic around 1992 .

1 Like

I have a feeling it was a 2pm kick off Irish time

Yes it was an away game

I attended the home game against Malta in May '89

A lovely sunny Sunday afternoon of the type straight out of a Roddy Doyle feature in the Observer

He lost his place before the rule change but he got worse then.

Didn’t he play in the 1990 Scottish Cup final and didn’t save a penalty in shoot out (9 ??) . Did the rule change right after WC ?

The rule only changed after Euro 92.

1 Like

yes :

I thought it was later. I’ve a vague memory of ating a late 1980s style provincial town “tea” of chips, fish fingers and beans while it was on.

George was already using “Danger here” in Euro 88, including, famously, before Oleg Protasov’s equalising goal for the USSR against Ireland.