King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Did any of the fringe players do much for their cause? Concannon still looks too lightweight, Hussey similiar although he made a few plays. Loftus only in spots as well. At least Glennon didn’t get the winner @flattythehurdler

1 Like

Wexford threw the kitchen sink at us in that second half and we somehow survived. Many previous Galway teams would have folded.

That’s said we have the look of a team going no obvious direction. We are carrying a few lads who simply can’t contribute enough when given 50/50 balls.

Nolan park will bring things to a head anyway.

1 Like

Harte’s legs are gone. Was made bits of today.

Hes not the only one. Conor Cooney is finished, Johnny Coen not far behind and David Burke a shadow of himself

No Joe, no party.

Surely Galway have more lads knocking around the county than what’s currently on the panel? Lot of mileage on some of those lads.

If ye can keep Whelan out of prison you are still in with a shout when Joe comes back.

I think the direction ye’re going in is very obvious.

@anon32894817 vindicated. Galway a far better outfit without Joe.

8 Likes

In fairness a good few of this team have been around a while and played in three or four finals. Harte, Coen, David Burke, Joe obviously and probably a couple more. Looks like a team heading to the end of the road after a great innings.

The new format is fairly brutal in that it exposes an ageing team over the duration of the provincial championship. Under the old system you’d be out after the first game and maybe get a tough qualifier draw and be gone. Now it’s dragged out over at least four games.

Definite lack of sharpness and energy for the last 12 months. Going by today hard to see them getting a result in Nowlan Park but there’s surely a kick in them for that one.

Parnell Park will be sticky too.

1 Like

Galway will be given no chance going to Fortress Nowlan Park. That’s a position that has inspired many great Galway wins over Kilkenny over the years.

1 Like

Who’d have guessed that Joe was holding us back all these years

6 Likes

I agree with you largely but I’d say tipp are an Even older team with more miles on the clock.

By all accounts they trained very hard on silver strand this morning. All Irelands are not won in May lads.

Galway beat Kilkenny by 8 points and Wexford by 9 in Innovate Wexford Park in the round robin stages last year and were looking unstoppable. By late July they looked knackered. I’d imagine they’re timing their run this year for the business end of late July to mid August.

They are a team desperately in need of new blood but I think playing in conditions like today exaggerates their problems. They have a very poor record in Pearse Stadium when there is a wind, they just don’t seem to fancy it at all.

Galway would have lost today’s game with that creep joe starting

Just tired, mentally, similar to tipp last year i think. Club finals for burke, cooney and daithi means they’ve a long time put down going to training and listening to team talks. Theres a few years left in joe so blood the right few and next year could be a winner. Into the wind when we had to short pass it we did fine, we’ve plenty of good hurlers. Thank fuck for whelan and jonny, battlers always. Niall Burke blew a big chance, the confidence drained from him, flynn had his best game in a while though with the rumour mill suggesting he’s the form forward in training. Harte not a marker, p mannion slow, c mannion didn’t leave any mark. Too many miles on Midfield they were overran in the second half. As was half forward before glynn. Cooney too much of a loss there. Concannon very hesitant. Its a psychologist, and a good one, they need. But next year. a hiding in kk, might fall over dublin and bow out a few weeks after. Wexford are average but we have been fingering dykes since halftime in the drawn clare game. That team owe us nothing though.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Won’t happen.

These fellas have a tough game under the belt now, they are far from perfect but they’ll battle hard below in Nolan Park. I expect a classic if it’s reffed accordingly.

We remain a hard team to beat.

4 Likes

Agree with this, but refereed correctly?? We just got rode by the cunt in pearse. It’s Nowlan park and Brian Cody you’re talking about. Are you gone mental?

Im not denying that, they aren’t going to quit but you can only go to the well so many times. They have more pride than the teams v Kilkenny 04 and waterford 11 when they downed tools, they aren’t like that but i think they’ll lose well in kk, as the biggest flaw prior to 2016 has come back and thats theyre not scoring enough points. 4+ years ago there was a reliance on goals, but the biggest improvement Donoghue brought in was smarter shot selection plus some selflessness. That wasn’t evident yesterday, david and niall burke shooting from the sideline, rushed blazes by loftus, mannion. Shots from too far out. An element of trying too hard maybe but 0-16 with that wind for a half is deplorable