King Henry of Galway (Part 1) šŸ‘‘

Iā€™m sick of the win at all costs attitude and creeping semi-professionalism that is running coach and horses through what should be a bit of healthy fun. Naturally I blame kk entirely for this. Seriously though, when did it happen that doing your best and getting beat out the gate isnā€™t enough? Itā€™s what makes galway hurling great in a way, the lows to go with the highs. A best effort is always good enough for me. Iā€™m not too taxed about winning anymore (though they did make me cry as a schoolboy)

Did you actually read it? He specifically says

'The panels can change by 10 or 15 players each year so it is open all the time, they are not fixed. A young fella knows if he doesnā€™t make it at 14 and really goes back to work on the inventory of the game and the pointers we give them when they are released. He knows if he works on that and hurls well with his club - the club is a big thing in our programme.

You play with your club first and we can take you after that. If you arenā€™t a leader in your club we donā€™t look at you either. ā€™

Young lads want to be the best they can, to improve, fielding four teams at u17 gives them plenty of opportunity to do so, its not for everyone but its elite sport, not a summer camp. The clubs still run their own scene and become overall more competitive, plus this programme identifies players from every single club, so no matter where you are from you can make it to the top, you wont be overlooked almost automatically as was the case before. That will only increase lads committment to their clubs

Youā€™re dropping nearly 200 14 year olds every year, then getting them all in again the next year and dropping 95% of the same lads again.

Underage GAA is not elite sport, its should be the most enjoyable time of your life playing with your friends in a relatively care free environment, 250 kids competing for 50 places doesnā€™t scream fun to me.

2 Likes

Theres nothing to suggest they are not enjoying their time playing with their friends, it just suits your narrative to imagine so. They are back playing with their clubs, trying to improve. All competitive young lads want to make the county team, they now have a higher chance, and its fairer. Plus they get some expert advice in nutrition, s and c etc which will benefit them for life.

lads getting trials for county teams, and making them, was the pinnacle of their teenage years. Its one of the main thing lads 14-18 talked about for a good part of the year when i grew up. And you think thats not fun?

And add school pressure to that.

1 Like

Sure how else are weaker counties like Tipp going to compete with the Limerick juggernaut? Limerick will dominate IC hurling for the next 20 years if other counties donā€™t wake up.

1 Like

Who cares?

1 Like

These chaps are fucked. The good is being taken out of winning minor All Irelandā€™s which should be the highlight of any lads GAA career

3 Likes

They are being kept away from their friends to go into a hunger games style scenario with 250 other kids for no good reason. Most young lads do want to make the county team, yes. It shouldnā€™t be the be all and end all though, and as much as he mentions the clubs in that article, it always comes back to making the county panel at the end. Go back to your club, listen to what we say and weā€™ll look at you again next year. How about go back to your club, listen to your coaches there and try your best to do as much for your club as you can?

1 Like

Because they make sure the county coaches have a level of competency.

Gettin young lads to give their clubs full attention has never been an issue in galway, what coleman is trying to do here is create a balance, so they are focused also on becoming fully rounded coachable hurlers that will enhance the counties chances, thats his job at the end of the day. Not going as far as dublin where the clubs are an irrelevance really, but the opposite was always true in galway

Love the April month, saw one of the best young hurler in Ireland last weekend play a stormer for the club. Donā€™t get the whole inter county obsession myself. Love when itā€™s over and we get our county lads back.

2 Likes

It is only 1 morning each week these get togethers happen until minor level. All these young fellas are hurling with their school as well, and it is there that most of the improvement happens. Lots of current and recently retired intercounty hurlers are teaching in these schools, the chance to impress David Burke or Padraig Mannion on the line in a school game is a much bigger motivation than some unknown coach over a development squad.
Where development squads have a benefit is teaching young players about stretching and nutrition, monitoring that daily is nonsense though. Really the GAA should be trying to give 2 or 3 presentations each year on these things in every clubhouse, and make anyone who wants to attend welcome whether involved in the club or not. It would be good for club players and a fairly simple piece of positive PR for not a lot of money.

5 Likes

Glynns transfer has gone through to NY I see

Heā€™s dead fucking right.

5 Likes

Is Conor Whelan suing also?!

This smacks of some local Galway GGA freelance ā€œjournalistā€ mixing up the two Ronan Burkes and sending in copy to a load of the dailies and a few of them publishing without fact checking it. Thankfully we donā€™t have that problem in Wexford.

Surely a Galway GGA journalist would know the difference, these fellas are the sort of simpletons who get off on being in the know about such things and calling the players by their nicknames

Indeed.

https://tfk.thefreekick.com/t/gaa-betting-2018/25406/627?u=glasagusban

2 Likes

Strange as it sounds a win there would have done us no favors, just paper over the cracks. Thereā€™ll be a few lads playing for their inter county careers against Kilkenny, at least there should be.
Glass half full this is the rocket up the hole they needed, Glass half empty this is as good as we are, ie shite.
Take Joe out of any side and they will struggle but this team visibly wilts in his absence. There was however a passage of play to set up the score, converted by Flynn, to rescue the result that hints of what this team is capable of. More of that and youā€™d be hopeful. I myself however am not very hopeful.

2 Likes